Chapter Twenty-One

Rosalind's heart stuttered as she sucked in a breath. What was he doing here? How had he managed to get past Emily and Mr. Williams?

"I hope you will do the honor of the next dance," the man said, holding out his arm. "We have a great deal to discuss, don't you think?"

Rosalind raised her chin and turned her back on him. With confidence, she strode away, her eyes searching the ballroom for Mr. Williams. Or perhaps a footman along the wall, remaining out of sight to make sure things ran well. Anyone who would be able to throw the man out and make sure he did not reenter to cause more trouble.

A hand caught her arm and jerked her to a stop. "The cut direct, dear Rosy?" Mr. Rowley asked, his tone mocking. "I would not advise it. No one turns their back on me and does not suffer the consequences. And you do not have the consequence to do so correctly."

How dare he use her husband's pet name for her? He did not keep his voice lowered. Mr. Rowley wanted a scene, and everyone to witness it.

"Release me at once," Rosalind said, not looking at him directly. She kept her voice quiet and calm. "I can think of no reason we need to discuss anything."

"Oh? I know you read the letter I sent you. Was it not clear enough?"

"I believe the lady does not wish to speak to you, Rowley," Lord Selkirk said as he stepped up to them. "And she is promised to me for this next dance, so I would appreciate it if you would allow me to have my partner."

A lie. The dancing had not yet begun, but Rosalind appreciated the assistance. Rowley tightened his grip on Rosalind's arm. "Ah, Selkirk," he said. "Lady Evan and I have something to discuss. I'm sure you understand—"

"There is nothing this...man and I have to discuss, Lord Selkirk," Rosalind said swiftly, keeping her eyes on the earl. She was highly aware that many eyes had turned towards them. "He has tried to impose himself on me and I find his very presence here repugnant."

Her arm ached in pain from how tight Mr. Rowley's grip had become. The man clearly did not like being thwarted.

"The entire assembly here no doubt agrees with you, Lady Evan," the earl said, his tone amiable. "You do not think the Williams would think me overstepping if I were to rid ourselves of this person?"

"I would welcome the assistance, Kirk," Mr. Williams said as he maneuvered around two matrons to reach them. "This person was not invited and is not welcome in my home."

Before Rosalind realized the man's intention, Rowley entwined his fingers in the cap sleeves of her dress and gave a sharp pull. The stitches gave, tearing loudly. "Now you look like the whore you really are."

Gasps rang out and then there was silence. A moment later, Mr. Williams and Lord Selkirk forcefully shoved Rowley away from Rosalind. Though the watching crowd ought to have embarrassed her, Rosalind found herself amused by it all.

"Think you to shame me by ruining my dress, sir?" she asked boldly. "Do you imagine you can shame me for something you did? That I would burst into tears over it? You know me not at all."

"You should have done as I asked," Rowley said. He raised his voice. "Now everyone will know the shame you carry with you! Just as your father ruined himself, you have ruined your name."

"Good heavens, what a commotion," Lady Emberdown said, striding forward gracefully. "Really, this is outside of enough. Mr. Williams, do be good enough to rid us of this...person. I cannot call him a gentleman, for his manners of despicable. Good society will have no choice but to ignore him after this atrocious display. I will see to it."

The dowager marchioness turned her back on Rowley to face Rosalind. "Now, my poor daughter, let us see what we can do to mend this," she said. "I know the Williams' are not to blame, but one would think a lady would be safe at a private ball."