Chapter Nineteen

Rosalind spent a sleepless night. It was the first time Evan did not sleep next to her. They had never argued so fiercely before, and she wasn't exactly sure what she should do about it. Her indecision and uncertainty kept her pacing.

By the time the sun began to rise, Rosalind was no closer to a decision than she had been at midnight. Her stomach twisted and she paced the length of the room. She knew her place was by Evan, but how could she support him in a decision she was certain would bring them pain?

"Oh, Mama. What would you have done? I wish you were here to advise me," she whispered.

It wouldn't be long before Evan would have the carriage out front. Should she remain in her room? Carry through with her decision to stay away from London? Or would it be better to show Evan she supported him? Her vows to obey her husband weighed on her mind.

Taking a deep breath, she put her hand on her father's journal. She had read his words about his wife's loyalty, sweetness, and reliability in every situation.

Ought she show the same qualities?

Behind her, the bedroom door opened. "Oh, you're awake, my lady," the maid said, her tone startled. "Forgive me. I'll have the fire going soon."

As she turned, Rosalind remembered that their maid had been instructed to rouse her. "Yes," she said, forcing a smile. "Thank you, Sally. Perhaps you could help me dress before you lay the fire? I don't believe I will be here long enough to need it."

"Of course," Sally said after only a pause. She set down her supplies. "Mr. Quinn has already gone to help his lordship."

"Then we had best not waste any more time," Rosalind said, resisting the urge to ask where her husband had slept. No doubt the servants were already gossiping about it already. "And I didn't have a chance to pack all of my things. Could a valise be found so I can take just what I need and the rest can be sent on?"

The maid blinked, no doubt confused by the change of plans. "Yes, my lady."

****

Smoothing her gloves, Rosalind hurried to the stairs. It had taken longer to change into the traveling dress and pack a small bag than she had expected, and she hoped she was not too late. She hadn't even paused to drink some tea. She couldn't tell if her stomach roiled from nerves, the morning nausea she had been suffering from since arriving, or from hunger.

Down in the hall, Rosalind saw Evan's trunk already there but her husband was not. She reached the bottom of the stairs and she hadn't seen a single person. Uncertainly, she glanced around. Where could Evan be?

"Rosalind?"

Spinning around, Rosalind looked up the stairs to see her husband at the top. "Good morning, Evan," she said, forcing a smile. "Will the carriage be brought around soon?"

He took the stairs two at a time as he came down. "You-you," he stammered as he grabbed his hand. "What are you —?"

"Even though I don't agree with you, you are still my husband," Rosalind said, squeezing his hands. "My place is by your side, no matter what happens. So, here I am. Ready to leave when you are."

Evan moved his hands to her shoulders and then bent down to crush her lips under his. When they parted, breathless, he rested his forehead against hers. "I do not deserve you, Rosalind Emerson Westwood," he whispered.

"I'm sorry I was angry with you," she whispered back. "You made a decision, and I will support you."

"No, you were right. I was being prideful and idiotic." Evan straightened up. "Your cousin would not offer advice lightly. If he thinks the best way to handle Rowley is to ignore him, that is what we will do. We have no reason to prove ourselves to anyone."