Chapter Seven

As her maid arranged her hair for the Burnham ball, Rosalind found her mind wandering. In the last week, Mr. Rowley turned up at most events she had attended, which was an annoyance. Either he hadn't realized her seriousness about no interest in a flirtation, or he was ignoring it. Rosalind was sick of the sight of him and wished he would come to his senses.

"You look beautiful, Rosy," Evan said as he entered the room. "You are going to make Miss Burnham green with jealousy."

"Flatterer," Rosalind said, delighted to be distracted from her thoughts. She was pleased with the pale rose silk gown she wore and thought she looked well enough in it. "No such thing will happen. In fact, I'm certain the young lady will look just as she should and have the attention as she should."

Ingram finished the final touch, making sure the tiny silk roses would remain in place. "Thank you, Ingram," Rosalind said, smiling at the maid. "You do such splendid work. I don't know what I would do without you."

The woman's curtsy did not hide the pleased smile on her face. "Rosy, dear, we shouldn't keep Henrietta and Thomas waiting," Evan said, his tone a bit impatient. "Are you ready? Or do you need more time?"

"Yes, I'm ready," Rosalind said as she stood up. She slipped on her long white gloves and then smoothed the fabric. "Henrietta has been very out of patience with me these past few weeks."

Which was putting the matter lightly. Her sister-in-law had been outright hostile since Mr. Rowley's one visit. Every day, and almost every hour, she would hint it was time Rosalind and Evan to find their own townhouse. Yet, not a word would be said when Evan was nearby.

Lord Thomas Westwood had nothing to say on the matter. In fact, he tended to ignore his wife, which no doubt added to Henrietta's sour attitude. In short, the atmosphere in the house was one of tension and coldness.

"I'm sure it is just the cold weather," Evan said, his tone soothing. "She is always like this in the winter. Once summer comes, she'll be more herself."

Raising her eyebrow, Rosalind kept her doubts to herself. Ingram held up her dark blue wool cloak and laid it across Rosalind's shoulders. "I will be glad to visit Emily," Rosalind said as she tied the cloak at her neck. "Perhaps the spring flowers will have begun to bloom."

"I will admit London has been sadly flat this year," Evan said with a sigh. "The Luddite attack has left many worried."

"Flat?" Rosalind said in surprise. "How can it be flat when you have so many friends in town? It seems I cannot turn around and someone professes to be or to know someone who is a close friend of you. And you are always away."

As soon as she spoke, she bit her lip. The last had come out more as a complaint than she'd meant it to be. To her relief, Evan didn't notice.

"It's true I know a great many people," he said, "but only a select few I would call close or even friend."

"Well, a 'great many' believe they are your close friends," Rosalind said with a smile. "Or at least, other people say this person or that person qualifies for the description."

Evan shook his head. "I cannot be held accountable for what other people say, Rosy dear. Some may wish to be my close friend, but I do have some standards. And really, I do not have that much consequence."

"What a trial it is to be you." Rosalind batted her eyes at him and felt completely ridiculous doing so. Her cheeks heated up and she tried to hurry for the door.

"My dear, if you keep this up, we shall neither of us make it to the ball," Evan warned her, catching her as she tried to pass him. "And as we remained in London specifically for this event, that would hardly be the thing to do."