Chapter Five

The tall man had a broad grin on his face as he offered a bow. "Never say you have the boldness to flout propriety by going about alone! I am delighted to discover this about you."

Rosalind gritted her teeth. "I must shatter this illusion you have formed of me. My maid has been delayed. No propriety has been ignored."

"Never fear, dear Lady Evan, I am undeterred. I shall learn all there is to learn about you."

Uncomfortable with his effusive declaration, Rosalind took a step back. "Good day, Mr. Rowley."

But he did not move on. "What kind of a gentleman do you think I am? It is clear you have no conveyance to return you to Lady Thomas' house. Come. My carriage is right here, and it would be my honor to escort you."

Get into a carriage with a man who was not her husband? Without even her maid as a chaperone? Absolutely not! "Thank you for the offer, but I would rather walk," Rosalind said as a strong gust of wind caught her pelisse. She adjusted her grip on her paper wrapped books. If she got out of sight of Mr. Rowley, she could hail another hackney to take her to her brother-in-law's house.

"Alone?" Mr. Rowley shook his head, tutting. He held his arm out to her. "I shall walk with you and see you safely home. It is the least I can do for you. And allow me to carry your purchase for you."

Arguing any further would create a scene, and passersby were already giving them curious looks. Though the last thing she wanted was to be beholden to the man for everything, Rosalind reluctantly handed over her books. She began to walk, ignoring his arm.

"And what literary treasure did you find for yourself today?" Mr. Rowley asked as he fell into step beside her.

"Something to amuse me," Rosalind said, choosing vague words on purpose. She saw no reason why she should tell this man anything. "It is not important."

"Oh, it must be, for you purchased two volumes. Let me guess. One of these must be mind-improving. Perhaps sermons? And the other, I would wager, is a scandalous novel you wish to hide from your husband."

"Not at all," Rosalind said, annoyed with his last statement. "I wouldn't dream of hiding anything from my husband, especially not a book I am reading."

"Then you didn't purchase a novel?"

With a huff, Rosalind kept her gaze forward. "I did not say that." Why was the man taking such an interest in her reading habits? "I did choose two novels. My cousin and I find them entertaining."

Out of the corner of her eye, she could see Mr. Rowley watching her. There was a pause that seemed to last an eternity but in reality, could only have been a few seconds. "I am surprised," the man said, "that given your background and your parents, you would not choose to avoid the scandal that most novels thrive on."

"Scandal?" Rosalind repeated, unable to keep her shoulders from tensing. "What do you mean?"

"Come now, Lady Evan, even a sheltered lady such as yourself must know about your father's affair with Mrs. Fisher and the son they had together."

Rosalind's heart skipped a beat. "How can you make such an accusation?" she asked, struggling to keep her voice steady. "Do you have proof of what you say?"

"The lady's word, which cannot be questioned, of course," Mr. Rowley said, his tone unconcerned. "I may not have met your father, but I am assured young Master Simon looks remarkably like him."

"Unsubstantiated rumors. Perhaps she exaggerated facts. I've known people to do so before." Rosalind said, though she felt shaken by his words. An affair? Her father? Mr. Rowley had spoken with such certainty, but how could he be right? "Why would you tell me such a thing?"