Chapter Three

Resisting the urge to wring her hands together, Rosalind kept a calm smile on her face. Beneath her gloves, her palms were sweaty. She watched the couples dancing in the middle of the ballroom. It was difficult to hear the music from the opposite end of the room with the chatter of everyone else speaking and laughing.

Being surrounded by so many unfamiliar faces made Rosalind's stomach twist. Looking around, she saw her sister-in-law a few yards away with three elegantly dressed women. They all glanced in her direction and then their shoulders shook with laughter.

"It was a coincidence," Rosalind said under her breath. She returned her gaze to the dancing and straightened her shoulders. "If only Evan were here."

It was one of the few times her husband had plead a prior engagement. Thus, Rosalind was at the party in the company of her brother-in-law and his wife, both of whom had immediately left her and joined their friends. It was what she had expected, but that didn't lessen the sense of abandonment Rosalind felt.

Dinner had been well enough as she had been able to keep to general conversation with the gentlemen on either side of her. It was when she withdrew from the dining room with the other ladies and her sister-in-law left her side that Rosalind became aware of feeling alone and uneasy.

She tried to tell herself she could face one party alone and that there was nothing to fear. That she didn't see one familiar face she could call friend made the lie harder to believe. It wasn't unexpected, of course. There were many dinners and events happening on any one night, so it had been foolish to think Mr. and Mrs. Landon would be at the same ball she attended. Still, it would have been a relief to see one friendly face.

Standing against the wall where the wallflowers and chaperones sat reminded Rosalind too much of Ambershire, where she'd lived with her cousin. How often she'd been overlooked because she was the 'poor relation'. To be watching everyone was familiar, but not in a good way.

"Rosalind! My dear, there you are."

 With a start, Rosalind recognized her aunt, Lady Amelia Ormund, coming towards her. "Lady Ormund," she said, relieved to see a familiar face. "It has been too long since we last saw each other. How are you?"

 "Oh, I'm well enough. And you look very well, dear," her aunt said, looking her over with the kind of scrutiny Rosalind always expected. "I am delighted that you are dressing as befits your new station, although I think you could be a little more...oh, how do I say this? Fine."

 "My husband approves of my appearance, so I am satisfied," Rosalind said patiently. It had been her decision to keep her wardrobe simple. "With my height, think of the ridiculous picture I would give if I were to have towering feathers in my hair as other ladies do."

 "True, but you could wear some more jewels. Surely your husband has given you something by now."

 "He has. Have you had any news from Emily?" Rosalind asked, changing the subject.

 Her aunt snapped her fan out and waved it in front of her face. "No, I have not. I haven't had a letter from that girl since the week after her wedding. I hear from Percival more often, and you know what a disinterested correspondent he can be. At least he shows some concern for me."

 Rosalind did not, in fact, know any such detail concerning her cousin. "And how is Sir Percival? It has been some time since I last saw him."

 If there was one subject her aunt loved to discuss, it was her only son. "He's well," Lady Ormund said with a proud smile. "He has been putting Lawrence Manor to rights, which has been more work than he first expected. I'd hoped he would join me for the Season but his time is not his own. Such is the price to be master of an estate and responsible for so much."

 "I'm glad to hear he is improving the Manor," Rosalind said honestly. She knew Emily would find immediate offense at the idea of any changes happening to her childhood home. "He will no doubt feel more at home there once he is done."

 "Of course, he will wish to allow his wife to make her own changes."

 Surprised, Rosalind raised her eyebrows. "I was not aware Sir Percival was about to be married." She wasn't sure why she was surprised. Her cousin would need an heir to ensure the estate remained in the family, and since Emily had refused him, he was free to make his own choice.

 "Oh, he hasn't made any indication but at some point he must marry," Lady Ormund said with a frown. "I've made a few suggestions, but if he isn't here, he cannot judge the ladies for himself. I believe it is the only time he has ever disappointed me."

 Turning her head for a moment, Rosalind hid her smile. It had to be the only time her aunt had expressed disappointment in Percival—Cousin Percy as she called him when she felt like annoying the man. The woman must be truly distressed by the man's lack of action or cooperation.

 "Well, he does have more responsibility since inheriting Lawrence Manor," Rosalind said in an attempt to sooth her aunt. "We ought to allow him time to become accustomed to his new duties before we expect him to add the responsibility of a family. He will make his own choice in his own time."

 "True," Lady Ormund said with a sigh. She glanced around. "Now where is Lord Evan? I have not seen your charming husband at all this season. He did come with you, I hope?"

 "He had other obligations to attend to tonight. He will be sorry to have missed you."

Lady Ormund shook her head. "You poor thing. I'd hoped your husband would squire you around a little longer before he tired of your company. One would have expected him to be attentive until an heir was expected. Unless you are already—?"

 "Aunt! How can you say such things?" Rosalind exclaimed, appalled by the woman's statements. She felt the heat of a blush on her cheeks. "I have not been abandoned, nor am I expecting a child. As I said, Evan had other obligations, which is not surprising with Parliament in session. There is nothing more to the matter than that."

 "You poor, naive child. This is why I worried about your marriage. You know nothing about being a wife."

 "Has Aunt Lawrence come to town?" Rosalind asked, her patience waning in the face of her aunt's words. As long as she could think of a relative to ask after, she was determined to use them as a distraction until her aunt went on her way. "I've not heard from her in ages."

 "Well, of course, she is still angry with you for being so disobedient and disrespectful," Lady Ormund said, waving a hand. "As far as I know, she prefers to remain near Lawrence Manor in case Percival has need of her expertise. She is devoted to her only nephew."

 At the news, Rosalind almost felt sorry for her cousin. Aunt Lawrence could be a tiresome burden when she wished to 'help' anyone. How long would Percival's patience last?

 Before she could make a response, Rosalind saw a tall gentleman coming towards them. He had a confident smile on his face and was dressed in impeccable superfine. "Lady Ormund, how charming you look this evening," he said, though his eyes were on Rosalind. "You surpass all other ladies, if I may say so."

 "Mr. Rowley, what nonsense you speak," Lady Ormund said with a giggle. She allowed the man to bend over her hand. "So you have joined us at last. I believed you intended to remain abroad this year."

 "Plans change," the man said, his gray eyes darkening slightly. "Now, you must introduce me to your lovely companion."

 "Lady Evan Westwood, this is Mr. John Rowley," Lady Ormund said promptly. "Mr. Rowley, my niece."

 Mr. Rowley quirked an eyebrow. "I was not aware you had a niece other than Miss Lawrence." He made a formal bow. "I am delighted to make your acquaintance, my lady. I am astonished I did not meet you when I met Miss Lawrence before."

 "When my cousin came for the Season last year, I did not come with her," Rosalind said, trying to remember whether Emily had ever mentioned the man before. "And my cousin married this past fall. She is Mrs. Williams now."

 "So Williams won her hand," Mr. Rowley said with a nod. "Of course. I am not surprised. Anyone could see last year that they only had eyes for each other. Love at first sight, if I am not mistaken."

 Lady Ormund gave a huff. "Nonsense. Oh, there is the Countess of Ashbrook. Please excuse me, Mr. Rowley. Rosalind, you must come for tea next week. We are long overdue for a tête-à-tête and I have so much news to tell you."

 Although Lady Ormund was the nicest of Rosalind's aunts, she did not look forward to the prospect of being caught in a private conversation where the woman could bring up any topic. Especially the topic of children.

 "I have not seen you dance tonight, my lady," Mr. Rowley said, getting Rosalind's attention. "I cannot believe other men are so blind. We must remedy the situation."

 "My husband is not here to ask me, and I have few acquaintances in society at the moment,"
Rosalind said with uncustomary bluntness. She wasn't sure she liked the way he was watching her. "I did not come expecting to dance, so it is no hardship on my part."

 "Well, it appears I shall play the knight in shining armor." The man held his arm out and had the audacity to wink. "Would you do me the honor of a dance, my lady?"

 Rosalind tilted her head. "Why do you say you that as though you believe I am in need of being rescued?" she asked, trying to quell the offense rising in her mind.

"All beautiful women are in need of rescue from the ignominy of being trapped on the wall," he said smoothly. "Come. It is far past time for you to out-shine all the other ladies in the room."

 "Beautiful women are never trapped in such a way," Rosalind said, ignoring his last statement. It was too ridiculous to be acknowledged.

 "Lady Evan, you are determined to be contrary," Mr. Rowley said with exaggerated horror.

"Come. I will not have you put yourself down in such a way. If you do not accept now, I will persist until you do concede that I am correct. It may a waltz by that point."

 The idea of dancing such an intimate dance with any other than her husband sent a shudder down Rosalind's spine. "I have no intention of waltzing, Mr. Rowley," she said. With a sigh, she decided to give in as the man appeared to be intent on getting his way in any way possible. "If you will insist on being ridiculous, I will stand up with you for one dance."

 Smirking with triumph, Mr. Rowley escorted her onto the dance floor. The quadrille had enough figures to keep her occupied in ensuring her steps were correct, although it also meant she remained by her partner at times.

 "Your husband is a blaggard for abandoning you," Mr. Rowley said, smiling at her. His gray eyes held a warm expression. "When I next see him, I shall bring him to task for such terrible neglect."

 "You presume too much, Mr. Rowley," Rosalind said repressively. "I would not thank you for such action and my husband would find it offensive."

 "There is no need for anyone to be offended. I meant it as a compliment. Has no one complimented you before?"

 "Why would I take a negative judgment of my husband as a compliment?"

 Mr. Rowley chuckled and shook his head. "You are more an original than I thought at first. You are a true delight, Lady Evan. What a pity you could not grace us with your wit before your marriage."

 With relief, Rosalind stepped away from him for the next figure of the dance. She wished she had been brave enough to refuse him and hold to that refusal. What did it matter if such an action would have meant she could not dance for the rest of the night? She knew no one else as it was. Who would have asked her?

 "I shall not tease you anymore, my lady," her partner said when next they stood still. "Though it brings a lovely blush to your cheeks, I will deny myself the sight. Tell me instead what you do to amuse yourself when you are not dazzling society."

 Glancing at him, Rosalind chose her words with care. "In town, I play the pianoforte and write letters to my cousin. When I am at home in the country, I tend my gardens and see to my husband's tenants. The usual amusements and activities for a lady."

 His smile took on a pleased look. "The usual amusements, you say? Do enlighten me."

 What did he read between her words that she did not mean? "I have been to the opera, and I look forward to attending again. I also hope to see the Elgin Marbles before the Season is over. I have been shopping and visited friends. Nothing so exciting."

 Mr. Rowley shook his head, a smirk curving his lips. "Those are not the usual amusements enjoyed by a lady, Lady Evan. I would be more than happy to introduce you to the real pleasures a married lady may enjoy while in town."

 With a start, Rosalind realized what he was hinting at. "I don't think I would enjoy the kind of pleasures you are implying, Mr. Rowley," she said, feeling the blush heating up her cheeks. "In fact, I am certain of it."

 "You can not know that. I think once you allow yourself to relax, you might enjoy it more than you think."

 Recoiling, Rosalind desperately wished to walk off the dance floor and give the cut direct. "Sir, I find what you are suggesting highly offensive," she said, resisting for the sake of avoiding a scandal. "How dare you suggest I would be unfaithful to my husband?"

 "I said nothing about faithfulness or anything scandalous to offend you."

 Pursing her lips, Rosalind refused to look at him and his amused face. "Come, now, my lady, I know you well enough to see you are not an ice queen," Mr. Rowley said, his tone wheedling.
"Does not a lady need an escort when she goes about town without her husband? There would be nothing untoward in that, I promise you."

 The dance separated them, which Rosalind was grateful for. It gave her time to compose herself. She didn't think this man was one of Evan's friends, and she was eager to be well away from him. Oh, why had Lady Ormund introduced them?

 "It would be my honor to be your escort," Mr. Rowley said as soon as they came together again. "I can show you pleasures you have never dreamed of."

 As the final strains of the song came to an end, Rosalind faced him. "Thank you for the dance, Mr Rowley. Good evening." She made the slightest curtsy and then spun on her heel. Where she was going on, she did not know but she couldn't get there fast enough to suit her.

 Mr. Rowley let out a laugh that followed her. Holding her head up high, Rosalind told herself not to cry or show any weakness.

 Society was crueler and harder to navigate than she'd ever imagined, but she wouldn't let it change her.

****

"Thank you, Ingram," Rosalind said as her maid finished braiding her hair. Having someone looking after her was an unusual feeling, but after a stressful evening, it was more than welcome. "Good night."

"Good night, my lady," the young woman said with a respectful curtsy. She retreated from the room.

Evan came in as the maid went out. "How was the dinner party?" he asked, coming up behind his wife. He rested his hands on her shoulder and leaned down to kiss her cheek. "Did you enjoy yourself?"

"I missed you," Rosalind said, looking at his reflection in the mirror. "Please don't make me go without you again. It was terrible."

"It was that bad?" His forehead creased with a frown. "I passed Thomas in the hall and he said you and Henrietta enjoyed the evening immensely. What went wrong? Was it the Dowager Lady Leith again?"

"As your brother spent the majority of the evening in the card room, I'm unsure how he would know how my evening went," Rosalind said with a sigh. "I'm sure Henrietta enjoyed herself. She was in close conversation with her friends every time I saw her."

"Did you not talk to anyone?" Evan's tone became concerned.

Twisting around, Rosalind looked up at him. "My aunt, Lady Ormund, was there. She gave news of Percival, and that he is making improvements on Lawrence Manor."

"How riveting," Evan said with no little sarcasm. "Surely a lady such as your aunt could have better conversation skill than that. Didn't she have something better to discuss?"

Reminded of the comments her aunt had made, Rosalind decided to keep them to herself. "She then introduced me to a Mr. Rowley, who I did not like. I could not work out how to refuse dancing with him. He kept making horrible insinuations about the pleasures a married lady could have in London."

"John Rowley?" Evan asked, his hands tightening on her shoulders for a moment. "He's daring to show his face in Society again?"

Seeing her husband's disdain lightened Rosalind's heart. "Apparently? Should he not be?"

"Let's just say he has the manners of a cad and I would be happy if I never spoke to him again."

"Then, it is not terrible of me to dislike him?"

Evan pulled on her shoulders and she stood up. She faced him. "You are allowed to dislike whoever you wish," he said, his tone grave. Then, his usual grin appeared. "As long as that person is not me, that is."

He ran his hands down her arms. "To be honest, I missed you tonight as well, wife," he said, his tone lowering. Bending down, he captured her lips and pulled her closer.

More than willing to forget Mr. Rowley and the rest of the evening, Rosalind allowed her husband to pull her out of the dressing room and into the bedroom.