Chapter Eighteen

"Well." Emily stared after the man with open bewilderment and slowly shook her head. "That was a first. Whatever has caused our cousin to not be such a stuffed-shirt is nothing short of a miracle."

"Emily!"

"What? You know how he always was while we were growing up. Stuck up. Pretentious. Haughty." For a moment, Emily seemed to flounder and then continued, "and every other word to describe attitudes like those. You know it as well as I do."

"Perhaps being in charge of Lawrence Manor has settled him. New responsibilities can have that effect on men. Or perhaps he never knew our cousin at all." Rosalind breathed in as a cool breeze brushed her face. "I am determined that nothing will spoil my mood today. Not even your annoyance with Cousin Percy."

"My annoyance? I seem to recall, dear cousin, that I am not the only one to have complaints about Sir Percival Ormund's treatment of us in the past."

The subject was dropped as Miss Smithson approached and perched on the edge of the blanket. "It is a beautiful day, Mrs. Williams," she said with enthusiasm. "Even if the wind is a bit cold, but of course, you wouldn't have been able to control that."

"Yes. Managing the weather is truly not something I have ever aspired to do," Emily said with a wry smile. "I do wish Miss Cooper had been able to stay for our picnic. I imagine she isn't able to enjoy herself often."

"Miss Cooper?" Miss Smithson asked with a frown. "I don't think I've met her. Is she an acquaintance you made on your journey?"

Emily leaned forward to explain about the mysterious woman who had remained for only a night. Rosalind turned her attention to where the gentlemen were playing a game of lawn bowls. Naturally, the men were wagering on the outcomes to make the game more interesting.

Rosalind found her gaze drawn to her husband. His laugh rang out above all the others'. She knew it was rather gauche to be fascinated with Evan, but she couldn't help it. His smile, even when it wasn't directed toward her, made her stomach feel as though it were filled with butterflies.

Evan glanced over and caught her glare. His face brightened with a smile just for her. A blush spread up Rosalind's cheeks as her husband winked at her.

"It is a mystery," Emily said, getting her attention. "I can understand the feelings of Miss Cooper's aunt, though, if all she has desired these past few years is privacy." She sent a meaningful look at Rosalind. "After all, gossip and rumors can have a terrible effect on one's peace of mind."

The young woman nodded her agreement, her eyes on the gentlemen. "Is Lord Selkirk a close friend of Mr. Williams?"

Amused by Miss Smithson's undisguised interest, Rosalind bit her cheek to keep from laughing. "Oh, yes, Emily said with a nod. "He is, I'm afraid, a confirmed bachelor with no intention of marrying."

"Surely not!" Miss Smithson exclaimed, bringing her gaze back to Emily. "How can he be? A man in his position needs an heir."

"A man in his position is not so high in rank he needs to be concerned about heirs," Rosalind said gently. "He has two brothers, both of whom are married with children. If he wishes, he may choose a nephew to inherit."

The revelation took Miss Smithson aback. "Why, I think you are serious."

"It would take, I think, a truly extraordinary woman to change Lord Selkirk's mind on the matter," Emily said with a solemn nod.

After a moment, the young lady's face brightened. "So there is hope, then?"

"If you wish to try, you are welcome to do so," Emily said, her tone becoming impatient. "I only wished to caution you, Miss Smithson. After all, one does not wish to make a cake of oneself in front of company."