Chapter Five

"Seth," Walter said after the waitress walked away from the table that the two men were sitting at. "whats wrong?"

Seth shook his head. "I don't know anymore. Honestly, my head hurts. I didn't really sleep last night. Not only from the pain in my jaw, but because of that man's pain. Walt, I feel for him."

"I know you do. But you're becoming too emotionally involved with this." Walter took a sip of his coffee, furrowing a brow as he ripped open a new packet of sugar and pouring it into his coffee. He sipped his coffee again, satisfied with it. He usually liked his coffee black, but for once in his life he found the black coffee way to bitter for his taste. He moved his blue eyed gaze over to the pondering Seth.

Two footprints found at the scene. No fingerprints or witnesses. No murder weapon. Not even a hair strand or anything. How could Seth possibly catch the person–or people–responsible for the murder of Emily LaBelle? He rubbed his chin.

"...she must have known the killer since she didn't attempt to flee or even fight back."

Seth raised a brow. "Walt..."

"Yea?"

"Nancy said that Emily didn't try to escape or even fight back when the killer showed up. Its evidence by the fact that the neighbors were home during the murder and didn't hear any screams or anything of that sort. She also didn't immediately run up out of bed, and even if he came running in, which he didn't, but lets say he did and caught her by surprise, there was no evidence of her trying to fight back since there was no sign of a struggle. Now, maybe he already started stabbing her before she even had a chance, but he was sitting on the edge of the bed when he first stabber her. So they were most likely talking for a bit before he began to stab her."

Walter titled his head. It took a moment to process all the information that was just said to him. "Wait, are you thinking what I'm thinking?"

Seth shrugged. "Well thats depending on whether you're thinking about the husband being a suspect. We already ruled him out as one. Security cameras got him picking up his kids and taking them out for ice cream. He can't be in two places at once."

"No. Based on what you just told me, it means that she most likely knew our killer. Raymond said during the interview that she was acting a little strange the week leading up to her death." Walter said.

"Right. Which means that she was expecting this to happen." Seth's brown eyes widened as he realized what he just said. He covered his mouth in shock. "S-she knew this was going to happen, and didn't even say anything?"

Walter sighed and held out his hand toward the detective. "Seth, we don't know that. Maybe she had a weird feeling something was going to happen, but didn't know this would have happened."

Seth held his head in his hands, hoping it wasn't true what he said. He bit down on his bottom lip, shaking his head.

"No, she knew." He sighed. "Something is bothering me."

"What is?" Walter asked.

"Well, at the crime scene she wasn't wearing wearing her wedding ring or engagement ring. Her engagement ring is missing, but her wedding ring was found on the night stand next to her side of the bed. Raymond told us that the only time she takes off her ring is when she's washing dishes. Other than that, she never takes it off." Seth said.

"Which means the killer took off her ring after he murdered her and possibly took her engagement ring. He was possibly in love with her, but angry at the fact that she got married and had two kids. So if he couldn't have her, then no one can." Walter crossed his arms and leaned back against the booth. "Holy shit." He breathed.

Seth nodded. "And we interview any male she knew who would possible fit the profile. Family, in-law's, co-workers, anyone."

The waitress came back to the table with the food that the two men ordered.

"Here you go. Chocolate chip pancakes with bacon and sausage. And for you sir," she said, turning to Seth, "an order of French toast with a side of strawberries and sunny side eggs. Enjoy."

Seth looked down at his food, nodding. "We gotta solve this." He whispered with determination.

-x-

"Sorry I'm late," Richard Hunter–the youngest sibling of Raymond and Tanya–said. "had to tell my boss I had a family emergency." He looked at his older brother who laid on the hospital bed, still knocked out. "How is he?"

Tanya shrugged, her leg crossed over the other while she laid her elbow on her thigh and resting her chin in the palm of her hand. "I don't know, Ricky. How do you think he is? The man lost his wife." Richard frowned. "Why didn't you call him when you found out?"

"I-I don't know." He sighed as he slid his hands into the pocket of his jeans. He looked over to his older sister who was the oldest of them all. "But I'm here now."

Tanya scoffed. "You should have been there the moment you found out. He needs all the support he can get." She turned to look at Raymond. "He's gone back to his old habits." She whispered.

Richard shook his head. "Fuck," he breathed, "it's that bad?"

"Ricky, you seem to be blind to the whole situation. His wife died. Do you understand that? And because of that, I understand why he's back to his drinking." Tanya averted her eyes to the floor, feeling a sense of sadness building up in her chest. "Not to mention, she was pregnant when she died."

All of a sudden, Richard bent over, one arm over his stomach while the other was over his mouth.

"Ricky, you okay?" Tanya asked with concern.

"S-she was pregnant?" He whispered. "I didn't know that. Oh god I feel sick."

"If you're going to throw up, get out!"

"No... stay." A voice groaned. The two looked over at Raymond, who's eyes were barley even open. "Ricky, is that you? Can you come over here?" He asked in a slight whimper tone. Richard sighed and moved over to stand by Raymond. He took his hand into his, holding onto it tightly.

"I'm sorry." Richard said.

Raymond shook his head a bit. "For what? You did nothing."

Richard frowned at his words. "For just not being there right away."

"Its only been like three days. Plus I probably would have just pushed you away anyways."

The three siblings looked at each other in silence. They didn't know what to say to each other. A nurse walked into the room very hesitantly. She knew exactly who Raymond Hunter was, and dreaded the fact that she was now appointed as his nurse. She checked on his vitals and IV bag.

"Spit it out," Raymond whispered. The nurse sighed, debating in her head if she even wanted to talk with the grieving man.

"I'm sorry for-"

"No. Thats not whats on your mind."

The nurse picked up his chart, feeling the three of them all looking at her, which only made her feel more nervous. "You broke your promise to her." She whispered. Raymond sighed and closed his eyes.

"I know."

The snow storm messed with my power. So my internet connection sucks atm...