Chapter Thirty-Nine

Sarah stood outside her dad's office door, knocking on it again. Her dad was still in there, possibly sleeping also.

"Dad... I'm not sure if you're still asleep... or, if you even slept. But you can't give up. Not like this." Sarah smiled and pressed her hand against the wood of the door. "I believe in you."

She moved away from the door and down the stairs, seeing her mom and brother standing at the door as they were waiting for her.

"Come on Sarah, I have to go to work and your brother is going over a friends house," Evelyn said. Sarah apologized, seeing her brother standing still with his eyes pointed to the floor. The three of them left the house, and now it was all empty and quiet.

Seth heard everything his daughter said. He was staring at the bulletin board with all the information he had about the case. Some information that the media or the police didn't know about. He was close. He knew it. All it took was the right amount of evidence to nail the bastard.

-x-

Walter placed the box onto his desk, letting Jonathan take it into his hands. It was heavy, but he was strong enough to carry it.

"You sure this is it?" Jonathan asked.

"Here's another," Walter said as he picked up another box. He tapped his fingers against the lid of it, biting down on the bottom of his lip. He felt like he just needed to confront Jonathan about what Jordan told him.

"Ok, I'll put this in my car and—"

"What's a bottom?" Walter blurted out.

Jonathan stared awkwardly at Walter as he was surprised that he knew that word. "Um. Why are you asking?"

"B–because... apparently you have a crush on me. And Jordan told me you would be a top and I'd be a bottom."

Of fucking course Jordan would say that.

"Listen, I don't have a crush on you. I don't know why Jordan would say that."

Walter sighed in relief, but then quickly realized that Jordan had tricked him into thinking that Jonathan was in love with him. He became upset at that.

"Does she hate me or something?" Walter asked as his voice had a sad tone to it.

"No, of course not. She thinks you're pretty cool." Jonathan placed the box back down on Walter's desk, gently nudging him. "She knows you like her," he said.

Walter looked at Jonathan with wide eyes, feeling goosebumps all over his body. "Really? W–who told her?!" Walter had a suspicion that it was Jonathan. He got up in his face, trying to intimidate him. But there wasn't much that made a 5'10 man scary against a 6'2 man. "Did you tell her?"

Jonathan pushed him away by the face, rolling his eyes. "Of course not. Straight people are none of my business. Now If you'll excuse me, I gotta go and work on a case." He piled both boxes onto each other and picked them up. "Oh and also, in case you ever think that I have a crush on you again, just know that white men aren't really my type." Jonathan shrugged and walked out of the squad room.

Walter sighed and shook his head in embarrassment.

"Everything ok, detective?" Wanda asked as she stopped in front of him.

Walter straightened himself out and nodded. "Yes of course."

"Ok good, because you guys got a new case. A double murder." Wanda threw the file onto Walter's desk, then looked over to where Seth's desk was before realizing he wasn't even there. She looked back at Walter, pointing to his partner's desk. "Where is he?"