The Memories Still Hurt

Frank's P.O.V.

"Frankie! Let's watch a movie!" Gerard enthusiastically exclaimed.

"Sure, what do you want to watch?" I ask, walking into the living room where Gerard, my boyfriend, is sat on the couch, scrolling through Netflix.

"I found this one movie, it looks interesting," Gerard begins explaining the movie but I'm not listening, because to be quite honest, it doesn't matter to me what we watch. Any time with Gee is time well spent.

"Yeah, sure, sounds great!" I respond, sitting on the couch. I get comfortable by curling into Gerard's side, his arms around me.

The movie was this strange horror/crime/I don't even know. But as we watched, something hit me. In the movie, the girl got killed by someone poisoning her drink. This caused me to have a flashback.

It was summer, 6 years ago. My older sister, Mom, and I had gone to Disneyland for a vacation. I was 12 at the time. I remember that my sister went to a bar the last night of our stay, and never came back. My mom had been crying on the phone with someone, so I asked what happened and all she said was "Samantha's gone." A couple years later I found out that she was poisoned, and they still don't know who the criminal is. My family and I never talk about Sam, it's a taboo topic to us. Only my mom, dad, and I know how Samantha died. I think Gerard noticed me looking uncomfortable, so I quickly re-focused.

"You okay Frankie?" He asked.

"Oh, uh, yeah," I responded with a fake grin.

When the movie ended, we shut off the system and went up to bed. Gerard wrapped his arms around me and kissed me goodnight. Even with my love right next to me, I couldn't fall asleep. All I could think of was Samantha, and if her killer is still out there. I looked at the clock continuously.

11:59pm

12:59am

1:30am

I realized that I clearly wouldn't fall into dreamland anytime soon, so I decided to get up and make myself a cup of tea. I softly tip-toed into the kitchen and placed the kettle on the stove. All I could think of were those 2 words. "Samantha's gone." When the kettle finished boiling, I grabbed a mug and gently dipped the tea bag into the hot water. I wondered why that movie affected me so much. Sam passed away 6 years ago and I haven't thought much about her for a while, so this was weird to me. I took a sip of the hot liquid, and it soothed my throat.

But before I knew it, I was finished my tea and thinking even more in depth about Sam. It's also not like I can talk to anyone about it. Gee doesn't know, and my mom and dad seem to think that speaking the word "Samantha" will cause you to go to hell. Just as I was putting the kettle away, I felt a pair of arms wrap around my waist.

"Jesus!" I shrieked out of surprise. It was Gerard thankfully, and not some serial killer.

"Sorry," he giggled. "Why are you still up?"

"I-I couldn't sleep," I responded, sighing.

"Why?" He asked, turning me to face him and holding my elbows.

"I-I don't know?" I replied, more of a question than a statement.

"Frankie," Gerard began. He can see right through my lies. "You know that you can tell me anything."

At that, I broke down. And by broke down, I mean completely shattered. The tears were spilling out and I couldn't stop them. I sunk down to the floor out of Gerard's grasp, completely crumbling.

"Oh my God, Frankie! What happened?" Gerard anxiously asked, crouching down to me and pulling me into his arms.

I proceeded to tell him everything, in between sobs.

"I think that movie just triggered something in me," I wept, desperately clinging to Gerard.

"Holy shit. I'm so sorry, baby. I'm so fucking sorry," Gerard responded, now beginning to cry as well.

There we were, on the kitchen floor, tangled into each other, crying together. I must say, crying felt good. I was like a bomb just waiting to explode. I thought I was over her, but I guess I've just found out how to bury my feelings.

"We should get to bed and talk about this more tomorrow, okay baby?" Gerard proclaimed.

"Yeah, yeah okay," I answered.

Gerard picked me up and carried me bridal style back to our room, where he laid me down on the bed. He then got in bed beside me, and wrapped me in his warm embrace.

"I didn't know, I'm so sorry, I love you," Gerard said, playing with my hair.

"It's okay, I know you didn't know and I love you too," I responded snuggling into him.

From that day forward, my sister's death was no longer a taboo topic, and we all addressed it properly and healthily. Oh, and I also got to chose movies for the rest of my life.