Love Is 30,000 Feet In The Air

Heyyyy! I recently went on a trip to Europe, and I came up with this idea on the plane. This turned out to be way longer than expected. Enjoy! Also thanks to my amazing best friends (BlessedEmoTrinity and logophile_yonderly ) for helping me with the title, y'all are the best!

Gerard's P.O.V.

My worst fear is flying. I don't care what the "statistics" say. It's all bullshit and they know it. The last time I was on a plane, there was turbulence from hell, sending cups flying, making the overhead bins open, and the oxygen masks fall. To make matters worse, I was alone on that flight. No family or friends to comfort me. Great situation for a guy with anxiety! That brings me to today.

My best friend Frank decided that it would be a fun idea to go to Europe together. Don't get me wrong, I'm so beyond excited, but going to Europe means a 10 hour plane ride, and a 10 hour plane ride makes me want to vomit. But here we are. In the airport waiting to board the flying tube of death in about 30 minutes. Frank and I sat down at our gate after grabbing a coffee. I was going to need as much caffeine as possible.

"That security guard seriously had issues. What's with feeling everybody up? Like literally everyone who passed through the metal detector needed to be "examined". I swear they just wanted that job because nobody ever wants to sleep with them and -" Frank stopped suddenly. "Gee? Are you even listening?"

"What? Oh, um..." I noticed that I was staring off into space and tapping my foot 100 miles per hour. "Sorry. I'm just nervous."

Frank looked at me sympathetically, wrapping a comforting arm around me. "Come on! It'll be okay, we've gone over this! Just imagine, you're in front of the Eiffel Tower, or at the Venice canals, or up on Mount. Pilatus!" I could see the visible excitement in his eyes, which slightly calmed me. Slightly.

I giggled in response. Half as a response to Frank's excitement and half as a coping mechanism for my inner terror. Before I knew it, the plane was called for boarding. Lucky for us, Frank's parents are loaded and were able to splurge and get us into business class. Unlucky for me, that means boarding earlier. We walked up to the booth and the friendly stewardess scanned our boarding passes. Her friendliness almost angered me. How can someone be that happy before being trapped in a death cylinder for 10 hours? Frank, being the child he is, practically ran down the jetbridge. I regretfully chased after him until we got into the plane.

"Welcome on board!" The blonde stewardess cheerily exclaimed. Why were they all so happy?

"Thanks!" Frank responded with his charming smile. I just kind of gulped in response.

"Nervous flyer?" She asked.

"He's absolutely terrified!" Frank laughed in response. I punched him in the arm.

"I can assure you that we will land safely today!" She reassured me.

"That's what they all say," I mumbled under my breath.

"Come on Gerard!" Frank grumbled, tugging my arm.

We found our way to our seats between first and economy class. At least we got a free pillow, blanket, and lots of leg room. I chose the window seat because I wanted somewhere to rest my head when I attempt to fall asleep. When seated, I instantly buckled my seatbelt up and pulled out the safety card.

"Woah there," Frank said, taking the pamphlet out of my hands and placing it back in the seat pocket. "You've watched like a million YouTube videos about this, you're fine!" He said jokingly, which faded out when he saw me.

"No, Frankie! I can't do this!" I looked at him with terror as I began visibly shaking. I could feel tears building up in my eyes, but I was not going to cry. Not today.

Frank placed a gentle hand in my raven hair, tucking it behind my ear, while giving me a sympathetic look. Before he could say anything, the safety announcement and demonstration began.

"Hello ladies and gentlemen..."

The more they spoke, the more anxious I got. The only words flowing through my ears were emergency, crash, water landing, pressure loss. Frank noticed me clinging onto my seat for dear life, and quickly laced his fingers through mine, squeezing my hand.

"It's gonna be okay, Gee," He softly spoke.

I took a deep breath in, but before I could exhale, the engines started. I was about to look out the window when Frank placed his free hand on my cheek, forcing me to look at him.

"Just look at me, okay? Everyone is safe, you're safe, people fly on planes every single day."

"I-" I needed to take a deep breath before continuing. Tears were definitely threatening to fall. "I'm so terrified." I said, just below a whisper.

Frank lifted up the armrest separating us and pulled me into his arms.

"Shh, it's going to be okay," He whispered into my hair, which he was lightly stroking. I buried my face into the crook of his neck. And there go the tears. So much for being tough. I assumed Frank could feel the wetness on his skin, because he squeezed me even tighter, rubbing circles on my back.

"Please don't cry, you're too beautiful to-" Before he could finish his sentence, the plane began speeding down the runway, jolting me out of my comfortable state.

"Nononono shit!" I wailed quietly. The tears were pouring out. My heart seemed to be beating faster than the airplane. I shot my glance towards Frank, almost like I was begging for any form of comfort. Frank had a contemplative look plastered on his face. The next few seconds went fast.

He grabbed my face forcefully and smashed his lips into mine. It took my by surprise because he is my best friend after all. I felt the plane lift off the ground and whimpered, but soon melted into the kiss, wrapping my arms around his neck. Frank kept his hands cradling my face, making sure that I wouldn't budge. His lips were soft, warm, and actually very comforting. All the fear seemed to dissipate from my mind as I focused more on the movement of our mouths. After what seemed like ages, which in reality was probably only 30 seconds, Frank pulled away, blushing. I felt my face completely heat up as I looked him in the eyes. His hands remained cupping my face.

"What was that for?" I asked smiling. Completely disregarding that the plane was getting higher every second.

"I was trying to distract you," He shyly smirked, wiping away my stray tears. "And I love you," He shyly added, looking away.

My eyes widened at the last statement. Frank loved me? Did I love him? I mean I really enjoyed that kiss, he's hot, and he's really sweet. Yeah, I do.

I shifted my body position and curled into Frank's lap, resting my head on his chest.

"I love you too," I replied, not making eye contact.

"Wait," Frank grabbed my shoulders and turned me to face him, my blush now extremely visible. "You do?"

"Why do you think I kissed you back?" I asked, getting back into my original position on his lap. "Now play with my hair before I start crying again." I demanded.

Frank giggled and tangled his fingers in my hair once again.

Love is in the air.
30,000 feet up to be exact.