Chapter 18

"That's because I went through some hard training in the Marine's and before it," Ford said looking at Amber.

Sookie looks between them and said, "You did it for her," Sookie didn't need to say Amber's name for Ford to understand who she was talking about as he nodded.

"I want to be at her side every day," Ford said.

Sookie's cheek darkened in color making Amber raise a brow, "Why are you blushing?" she asked. Sookie's blush depended and her lips pressed together in a thin line as if to stop herself from asking something.

Ford did an 'I got it' motion by hitting a close fist in his other open hand.

"She thinks we are lovers," Ford said.

Amber snicks and shook her head.

"His love for me is not that of a lover," Amber said.

Sookie's brows knit together, "But have you drank his blood? It give you dreams and..." she couldn't finish the sentence without blushing.

Ah, she is a proper southern belle, Amber thought with a chuckle.

"I have and he has drank mine," Amber said.

"Then?" Sookie said wanting Amber to elaborate.

Amber blinks and at Ford silently telling him to explain.

He sighs, "Well not every sharing of blood means that there has to be sex dreams or force attraction," Ford said trying to ignore the looks Amber was giving him of 'really that's how you want explain it'

What else does she wants me to say? I can't burst out that part of her blood is not human but belonging to the Egyptian god Anubis, Ford thought.

"I see. Now those vampires are rare because Eric is not one of them," Sookie said.

"Uh huh, I think you secretly like him because I was sure that you didn't need an explanation when he asked you if you could go with him to Dallas." Amber said a smirk playing on her lips as she watched Sookie's face turn completely red.

"Normally, I would just say tell him but we are talking about Eric that with his huge ego he needs to be taken down a peg of two. So, I suggest you have him come to you instead of you falling into his laps," Amber said.

Sookie nods slowly in which Ford adds, "To simplified things play hard to get."

"I'll do that," Sookie said.

"And don't you have a shift soon?" Amber asked.

Sookie glanced at the clock and bolted from her chair, "I will be late!" she said and went upstairs to get ready before she returned downstairs and said goodbye to Amber and Ford.

Ford busied himself with gathering the dirty dishes and washing them.

"How are you feeling?" Ford asked.

"How do you want me to feel? I have a rare blood disease that can kill me if it wasn't for your blood and Anubis blood that control it. Along with a few organs that my body could reject if I don't take the medicine." Amber said and Ford sighed before he vamped toward her and lifts her head.

"You have chills," he said noting the decrease in temperature, "and you were moving around last night in pain."

Amber looks away and Ford drops his hands.

"The medicine is not working anymore," he slowly said, "You hide it from me? So, I wouldn't feel your pain."

The hurt in his voice was like an arrow to her heart.