Chapter 4: Awkward

The smell of waffles fills your nostrils as you slowly regain consciousness, the events of the night prior slowly coming into your mind.

A light knock at the door rose you further from your dazed state. "Come in," you called.

The door opened to show  the large Swedish woman standing with a small, delicate tray In her hands.
It was only then that you realised you were in your own room.

The squire walked further in placing the tray, adorned with a single rose and a few waffles covered in maple syrup, on the bedside table.

"How did I get back here last night?"  You yawned, barely noticing the gesture of the flower, seeing the light blush flutter across Brigitte's cheeks.

" I.. Sorta.. Carried you?" She replied, scratching the back of her neck gently.

"Oh..," you let it sink in, "Thank you." You smiled up at her.
She fumbled around with the tray before handing it to you, "Here, I figured you'd be hungry after last night." She handed you the waffles and proceeded to leave the room.

She turned on her heel near the door, "Also, soldier said 'he needs to see you urgently about a very important mater' so once you've eaten you are to head down to the briefing room Immediately."
With that she left, a musky scent of machinery and sweat following her.

You ate the breakfast lovingly, enjoying each and every bite before getting out of bed, dressing and heading solemnly down to the briefing room.

You opened the door to see soldier sat alone with a file on the desk.

"(Y/n). We need to discus an important matter." He looked guilty

" And What.. What would that be." You stammered, fearing what was to come.

"We understand that you have not had the most pleasant relationship with your mother. However, we are in dire need of another doctor on the base." He forced his speech.
"So the board have decided to recruit her to aid in Angela's research."

Emptiness. All you could hear by now was your own heartbeat. You were completely unaware that you were crying.

"We have a secure lab set up and she will be guarded at all times to ensure your safety however, as a collective we would like to know if you are OK with having Dr O'deorain on site."

You froze. The evil, neglectful woman who had the nerve to call herself your mother was back. You simply stood up and slowly walked out.

"Its fine by me." Was all you could muster before the world went black. The last thing to cross your mind being that you never did manage to tell Brigitte how good those waffles were...