+thirteen

it's just a passing downpour.

—downpour, i.o.i

-

the next day began like any other day, only that it was pouring down that morning. the sky was dark and there wasn't any signs that show the rain would stop anytime soon.

despite the heavy rain, the sidewalks were crowded with people as usual and the roads were jammed with vehicles of all kinds.

in between the crowds of people, eunbi found herself weaving her way to her work place in a rush. instead of umbrella, eunbi had her bag over her head to protect her from the rain but sadly, it wasn't providing the best shelter for her. plus, she was actually  half an hour late for work and she could imagine how sangyeon would nag for her tardiness.

by the time she reached the shop, she was drenched from head to toe, her breathing was uneven from running and she looked like a mess in general.

juyeon, jacob and sangyeon was seen on the front — the two servers were wiping the tables while the shop owner was organising the cash register. the three looked up when eunbi barged inside the shop and they immediately froze, looking speechless while they took in the sight of her.

"eunbi, you okay?" jacob asked, looking worried. his brows were furrowed in concern and eunbi couldn't help but feel moved with his caring attitude.

"i'm fine, a little bit freezing but i'll be fine." she waved them off before continuing her way to the back, where staff room is located.

there, she found hyunjae — who had finished changing into his work uniform. the guy showed a similar reaction like the three guys earlier when he saw her and eunbi shot her an assuring smile.

"hyunjae, good morning." she beamed, greeting him while opening her locker, putting her soaked bag inside. the shop was warmer since the heater was on, but it seemed like the rain had taken its toll on her. she sneezed a few times, feeling lightheaded for a few seconds.

a towel was suddenly draped over her head and eunbi looked up to see hyunjae looming over her.

"dry yourself quick or else, you'll get sick." he said seriously, taking eunbi off guard. it was the first time she ever sees hyunjae looking so serious — he looked almost like he was actually angry.

"what are you even doing in the rain to get so wet like this?" she heard him mumble underneath his breath, but decided not to say anything about it.

she hesitantly grabbed the towel to dry her hair, all the while shooting curious glances at hyunjae. the latter notices it, heave a sigh and took the matter to his own hands.

hyunjae grabbed ahold of the towel and carefully ruffled it against her hair. "you shouldn't get sick, lee eunbi." he whispered ever so softly, yet loud enough to be heard by her.

eunbi look puzzled as she stared into hyunjae's eyes. they held the stare for a moment before hyunjae broke it, covering her face with the towel.

"if you're sick, there will be more work for me." hyunjae reasoned out, chuckling. eunbi hissed lowly under her breath, pulling the towel off to glare at the boy.

way to ruin the moment...

"stay away from me, idiot." she shoved the towel back to the male, grabbing her uniform hung in the locker and stormed off to the changing room.

-

the rain didn't stop until noon, so business was slow. unlike other days when the shop was bustling with people, only a few customers came today.

the four servers sat at a table, doing nothing except watching the customers eat for the past hour. sangyeon was off to his office and the cooking team was killing their time by chatting at the kitchen.

the creaking sound of the door stole their attention and they instantly shot up to greet the new, and long awaited, customer.

juyeon immediately went to him, leading the customer to a vacant table and gestured for hyunjae to bring the menu over.

while the two attend to the customer, jacob and eunbi sat back and watched. for some reasons, eunbi had her eyes on hyunjae.

she couldn't stop thinking about their little moment this morning. she was confused and fluttered at the same time. but the feeling wasn't the same when she was with eun—

eunbi shook her head, stopping herself from mentioning his name, even in her mind. she was too absorbed in her thoughts to notice that hyunjae had returned to the table, the boy had his eyebrows creased in panic.

"hey, that customer asks us to entertain him." hyunjae said in a shushed tone, " what should we do??"

jacob and eunbi looked at each other in confusion. right then, juyeon appeared next to hyunjae. "should we just sing for him?" he suggested, looking unsure himself.

"sing?" the three shot juyeon an incredulous look at the random suggestion.

"what? jacob hyung can play the guitar and the three of us could sing together." juyeon shrugged innocently.

"well..." jacob nodded after contemplating, "it's possible, i guess."

and that's how they found themselves getting ready to perform in front of everyone. hyunjae and juyeon made a small set up by arranging four chairs in a line while jacob went to grab his guitar in the staff room.

the customers looked at them with expectation. even cooking team and sangyeon came out of their work area to watch. the man who requested had put aside his half-finished food to focus on them.

"we are doing this in hope that we could entertain our lovely customers in this raining day. so, here it is, downpour by ioi."

jacob started off by stringing his guitar, creating a lovely, soothing melody before juyeon began singing first, soon followed by eunbi and hyunjae. the four looked bashful at first but after reaching the chorus, they were enjoying every seconds of it.

the performance ended with a loud applause from everyone. the man who requested even stood up, giving them a standing oviation.

"you guys are amazing!" the man said, "especially that girl." he pointed at eunbi, making the girl grinned and blushed.

"i think i have a proposition to make." the man made his way to eunbi, holding out a rectangular business card, "lee eunbi-ssi, what do you think about becoming a trainee at sm entertainment?"

-

let me tell you one fact about me: i teribbly suck at making cover hence the constant changing of the book cover. sorry if that makes you uncomfortable.

and.... after this, i'll update when this chapter receives at least 20 votes. i'm expecting to update the day after tomorrow so i hope it will reach the target ny that time.

😊