Chapter Twenty: Best Friend

"Did you get into a fight again?" Monika said.

"Nooooooooo..." I said.

Monika tilted her head and gave me a doubting look.

"Didn't Natsuki tell you? I'm retired from the NWG." I said.

"Y-You are?"

"Yeah, I'm not in any danger anymore." I said in an upbeat voice.

Recalling the events that just took place, that statement was a complete lie. However, Monika bought it.

"Oh thank God!" Monika said while lunging at me. She pulled me in for a great hug. I felt a sharp pain in my stomach, but I decided to ignore it...for now.

"Yeah, I've done my service." I said.

Monika let go of me and me and her began to continue our walk.

"So, what was the point of the NWG?" She asked.

"Well originally it was to help the weak and take down the corrupt. However after operation 'Firefly' everything changed." I said.

That was classified information, but I trusted Monika. Besides, what could Monika do with this information?

"Operation Firefly?" She asked.

"We took down a group called blackwater. It was a private military service but it was corrupt. They kidnapped some of our guys so we met them to negotiate getting our guys back."

"Well what happened?"

"Well...me and Cosgrove ended up taking over blackwater and all of their resources. BTRs, helicopters, firearms, ammunition, anything an army would want..." I said.

"Is that how you get such a high money intake?"

"Sorta, we get hired by contacts to take care of certain situations. Most of the time it's some government bastards who don't want to get their hands dirty."

"So your like... mercenaries...?"

"I guess you could say that."

"Well now that I know you have so much money, I have a whole list of things I want."

My heart dropped in my chest.

"Oh shit..." I said I'm my head.

Monika began to giggle a little. She looked over at me and smiled.

"I'm just kidding Spencer, the only thing I ever wanted was you!" Monika said while hugging my arm.

"Oh thank the heavens..." I mumbled to myself. Monika continued to hug my arm.

"You should've seen the look on your face though...it was hilarious!"

"You and Odysseus are just alike..." I said to myself.

Me and Monika continued our walk until we came to a small hill. There was a little tree on the hill with pink pettles falling off of it.

"Wow look at that! It's so pretty!" Monika said.

"Yeah it is." I said. I walked up the hill and took a seat under the tree. Monika came over to me and took a seat next to me. She sat on her knees.

"Today really is a pretty day, isn't it?" Monika said.

"Yeah, I always enjoyed days like this."

Pink pettles began to fall around me and Monika. Monika reached into a small bag that she brought and pulled out two apples. She handed me one of them.

I took a bite of my apple and Monika watched as I chewed it.

"You're so cute..." She said.

I began to giggle to myself. Monika grabbed me by my shoulder and made me rest my head on her thighs.

She looked down at me with an innocent smile on her face. She began to play with my hair.

"I always dreamed of a moment like this." She said.

"I guess it's a dream come true."

Monika continued to play with my hair until something caught her attention. She looked directly at something and her facial expression changed to a concerned one.

"S-spencer...?" She said.

I sat up and looked at what Monika was looking at. In the distance I saw a small black animal moving in the grass. It looked as if it was hurt.

"What is that?" I said.

"I-I don't know...I think it's hurt..." She said.

I got up and walked towards it. I crouched down next to it to see that it was a small black puppy. It had brown spots on it's face and body.

"It's...it's a dog." I said.

"His...his leg is hurt." Monika said.

I looked at it's leg. It was all scratched up.

"We need to help it Spencer..." Monika said.

"Monika...we can't just take this dog..." I said.

"It's mother left it out here all by himself...if we leave it here it will die."

Mother...left it? Why did those words mean something to me.

"Alright we'll take it back to my house and help it...but after that we have to do something with it." I said.

"Deal...can I hold it?" She said shyly.

"Sure." I said. I handed Monika the small puppy and she held it up to her chest. The puppy looked up at Monika and licked her cheek with it's tiny tongue.

"Heh it likes you." I said.

Me and Monika walked back to my car. Monika held the puppy the entire time, completely engrossed in how cute it was.

We drove home and me and Monika walked into the kitchen. We put the puppy on the table and I grabbed a first aid kit.

"How do you know all of this medical stuff? First you helped Yuri, and now your healing a dog." Monika said.

"Well I graduated into a Master Sargent with a Medical and Infantry qualification. " I said.

I pulled out some antibiotics and whipped the puppies legs. I wrapped bandages around the puppies leg and checked it for ticks. Luckily, it didn't have any.

"Let's see how he goes..." I said. I set the puppy on the ground and it began to walk around a little.

The puppy walked out of the kitchen and down a small hallway.

Suddenly Natsuki walked around the corner and the puppy went up to her. The puppy jumped on her leg and put it's front paws on her ankle, trying to get her attention.

Natsuki looked down at the dog and her eyes got really wide.

"WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT?!"

-----------------------------------------------------------