Chapter Eighteen

Sha’riah

It’s been a full week, I've been staying at Kamillah's house and borrowing some of her clothes whenever mine ran out. Her mum was fine with this, she was really supportive and understanding, which I appreciated. No-one actually knows that I was back in London apart from Kam and her mum. I've been keeping in touch with Tanisha, who had told Francis that I was staying over at a friend’s house because I needed to adjust, which wasn’t even a lie. That’s exactly what I was doing. I really am staying at a friend’s to adjust... just not in Liverpool. 

I've been going to see Marcus every day at the hospital ever since, and he still hadn’t made much progress. It was actually beginning to worry me. The doctors claim that he seemed to be getting better, but I don’t see that... or maybe its just me? I was currently relaxing on Kam’s bed, peering up at the ceiling and thinking deeply. If Marcus actually does come around, what could I even say? Would he happy, upset, angry? I sighed deeply and carried on thinking until Kamillah entered the room drinking Ribena from her favourite glass. She threw an ironed t-shirt in my direction. It landed on my face and she laughed.

"You owe me; I washed and ironed that for you." She announced. I brought the shirt away from my face and smiled weakly in appreciation.

"Thanks," I mumbled. She sat at the edge of the bed and watched me silently.

"You’re thinking about him again aren’t you?" She questioned. I nodded. She stood back up and went to her wardrobe then pulled out her New Look jacket. "Well I’m going to see him now with Tyrone, you coming?" I shook my head. For once, I just wanted my own company. I knew Marcus would still be unconscious, so there was no actual point.

"You lot go ahead. I’m staying here,” I replied.

"You sure?" I nodded once and she sighed. “Alright. I'll be back soon yeah?"

"Mmhm." She waved and left the room after a few minutes. I sighed and sat up. Now I was bored. I could never win either way. I was now alone since Kam had left and her mum was at work. I got up and went across to the kitchen to retrieve yoghurt from the fridge, then relaxed in the living-room. I guess it was me, myself and I then. Just as I turned the Sky box on my phone rang. I smiled slightly at Tanisha’s flashing name before answering.

 "Yo," I greeted.

"Oi, what’s good?" She yelled down the phone, she was so loud.

"Nothing, just jammin’. What you doing?”

"Going shop for dad. He keeps asking me when you will come back." I rolled my eyes; he needed to get off my back. I understand he was worried, but I can look after myself. Plus, I had no choice but to leave.

"I ain’t going anywhere until Marcus is awake." I stated. She sighed.

"To be honest with you Riah, from what it sounds like, he might... he might not even wake u-"

"Shut up Tanisha. Don’t even say it.” I snapped instantly. Before she had the chance to reply I tutted angrily and locked off. Fuck sake, am i the only one that has any faith? Of course he'll wake up, this is Marcus we're talking about. My phone rang again. I kissed my teeth long and loud before answering again.

"Tanisha fuck off, I swear!" I shouted angrily.

"Riah it’s me," a familiar voice came. My face softened and I breathed deeply.

"Sorry Kam.” She laughed.

"Look, I’m at the hospital and something’s happened with Marcus," my eyes widened and I swallowed hard as the words struck me.