Chapter Thirty

Marcus

I got off the bus and trekked back home. After the exhausting day I’ve had with Sha’riah, I couldn’t wait to get home and chill for a bit. I stopped off at the shop and bought a few snacks, then continued home. When I got inside the house was eerily quiet.

“Trey? Tanisha?”

Silence.

“Ryan?” I tried again.

“Marcus, come here,” Mum called from the living room. I removed my jacket and began taking off my kicks.

“Where’s Trey?”

“Taken Tanisha to the bus stop,” she answered. Her voice seemed different somehow, and I raised a brow curiously.

I entered the room and stopped in my tracks when I saw two police officers sat on the sofa. One cop was a lanky and black, while the other was a short, pudgy and white. They both looked at me expectedly and I glanced at Mum for an explanation.

“I told you before that they would come here for some information,” she said.

The short one cleared his throat. “Hello Marcus. If you’d just take a seat, please.”

I watched him blankly and stiffly sat down on the other sofa.

“How are you feeling today?” the black one questioned.

“Good,” I answered.

“No aches or pains of any sort?” the short one asked.

“You’re not a doctor doe, so even if I was in pain, you won’t be useful.”

Marcus,” Mum warned.

I turned to her. “Am I lying? There’s no reason for feds to be here-...”

“There hasn’t been any complaints about pains,” Mum answered for me with a forced smile.

Both nodded and the pudgy cop jotted some things down.

“What are you writin’?” I asked with a raised brow.

“Just keeping note of your wellbeing,” he answered curtly.

I sighed and leaned back in the chair. These two needed to fuck off; their presence was really beginning to anger me. I wasn’t about to tell them anything. This wasn’t about me being a snake; I just wanted to forget about all the bullshit that happened on my birthday.

“Tell us what happened yesterday.”

My eyes snapped to the lanky fed. “Had a house party and people came round.”

He raised a brow. “That’s all?”

“I dunno what else you want me to say.”

Tubby leaned closer and scrutinised my face. “Well I see your eye is still bloodshot, and a big bruise on your arm there.” He pointed to my forearm and I shrugged.

“Maybe a couple other things happened.”

“Like at 12:02am?” the black one asked.

I watched him closely. He was trying to uncover the incident with as little questions as possible.

“Maybe.”

He frowned slightly and the short fed flicked through some notes. “Your mum told us that you was attacked by a young man in a black hood.” He looked at me. “Is that true?”

“I don’t remember.”

They both shared an odd look before turning to me.

“You don’t remember?” the lanky cop asked sceptically.