Chapter Twenty

Marcus

We were nearing this pricks house. The whole journey there was silent. I had nothing else on my mind except for what I would do and how I was gonna do it. I just wanted this over and done with.

"How we gonna get in his yard?" Trey asked, his determination evident as he upped his pace.

"We won’t have to."

"Why not?"

"He's always on road wid his mandem." I snarled. Just thinking about him made my blood boil. For him to cause me such grief was enough reason for me to fuck him up. The closer we got the angrier I became. We turned the corner and surely enough he was sat by the main wall with his wastmen, all bunnin’ a zoot and chatting shit. Trey ducked by a bush before they got the chance to see us, dragging me down with him in the process. I kissed my teeth and crouched down.

"Why the fuck are we hiding?” I sneered. I never hid, I done shit head-on. Trey gave me a look and cracked his knuckles.

“Cos it’s the smarter ting to do.” I grunted.

“Since when did you care about being smart?” He shushed me and peered through the branches to get another view.

"Which one is he?" He questioned, his voice now low. I glared at the bunch and pointed towards the main culprit; laughing with the zoot perched between his lips. Acting all high and mighty, like he owned the strip. I couldn’t wait to end him. Trey kissed his teeth.

“Man thinks he’s bad.” His jaw clenched and his eyebrows furrowed. Then he held out his hand. “Gimme your shank fam.”

“Nah, wait.” I squinted my eyes to get a better view. I could’ve sworn I saw a familiar face amongst all the other wastmans. Someone very familiar. Straight away I recognised him, sat at the edge beside Shankz, a bottle of Bacardi in his hand, laughing at a joke that was being told. I sneered.

The fuck is Dylan doing jamming wid the same man that put me in hospital? Is he fucking stupid?! From there my vision blurred and my heart thumped loudly in my chest. For him to betray me like that, he was aware of the situation, yet he was rolling wid Shankz like everything was cool? You don’t do that to your fellow mandem. I never knew he could be so fake, mans known him the longest time. We’d been through tough shit and I’ve stayed by him, and this is how he repays man? My fists clenched and my teeth gnashed together as I continued to stare. Now I was seeing red. Now the animosity deep within me was raging. I couldn’t believe such a sight. I was being taken for some kind of prick, I weren’t gonna have it. I retrieved the shank and gripped onto the handle tight like my life depended on it. Swear down, by the end of today, blood will be shed.

“Aye,” Trey muttered, “what is it?” A growl erupted deep in my throat and my chest tightened in anger. I shot up and arose on my feet, but Trey gripped me on the shoulder and brought me back down. “Fuck, Marcus! Calm down."

Calm? He wants man to be calm when my best friend and my enemy were being all friendly? Was I meant to sit back and accept this shit?

My body shook and my breathing hitched. Trey’s grip on my shoulder tightened.

"Get off me Trey.” I warned quietly. There was no telling how I would react when I was truly angry, I didn’t want my own cousin to suffer the consequences.

“Just calm it init. Remember you only just got out, I don’t want you going back in.”

“I said get the fuck off me.” I muttered, the anger was slowly building. After brief hesitation, Trey sighed and released me. I stood up and approached them, a screw plastered on my face. Trey followed closely behind. They all noticed us and fell silent. Dylan’s face straightened once he saw it was me, whereas Shankz smirked.