14

Farkle's POV:

I was so scared. It had been two whole days now without Maya, and I hadn't slept at all. I know it isn't good for the brain but-AAH! I'm using words like 'good!' I need my great vocabulary back, but mostly, I need Maya back.

I hadn't realized how important she was to me. Every night I laid awake in my room thinking of her.

One night seemed especially scary though. I'm not exactly sure why, but it was. Due to lack of sleep and lack of Maya, I was always feeling groggy, always feeling sick, always feeling alone.

The world was a dark, dreadful, place. It had betrayed me. I felt like the world hated me. And not just me, all of us. Every single human being in this world feels like that sometimes.

And sometimes, you can kill two birds with one stone. And that's what the world did-it took a shot, and ended up getting Maya, but also me.

The world took the last light I had, when all life was missing. I loved life at first, I had the bestest friends in the world. And now, the most important one was gone.

I love Maya. I love Maya. I love Maya! I can't be without her. I need her back. And if I don't get her, well, then I guess I'm one of those birds.

I was up all night, as usual, and when it was around five, I got up. I walked over to the windowsill, and sat on my knees beside it.

It was still dark out. I looked over the sill and down into the world. It seemed so bigger now that she was gone. And I knew, the chances of her living are around one in a billion, and I knew that this was the end. This was the end of Farkle Minkus.