17

Farkle's POV:

Days became weeks and weeks became months and months became years. Well, that's what it felt like. The calendar seemed to be lying when when it said it had only been three days. Riley and Lucas had come back two days ago, while I was just here bawling my eyes out. They tried to visit me a few times, but I shut them away. I didn't want to be with anyone. Even my parents knew to leave me alone for the past few days. I just wanted to be alone with my thoughts.

My phone started to ring. Nope. Not picking it up.

I didn't even check the caller ID. It truly didn't matter to me. Instead, I closed my eyes and thought, thought of all the precious memories I shared with Maya. She had been there for me when we thought I had Aspergers Syndrome. She been there for me when I was bullied. Through it all, she was there. And it took me that long to realize it.

I was interrupted from my thoughts by my door opening.

"Farkle, what the heck!?" Riley screamed, slamming the door against the wall.

I took a moment to figure out what caused Riley to freak out at me. And then I realized.

"I tried to save her, Riley. I really did." Fresh tears pricked my eyes and then freely graced my cheeks.

Riley's expression softened. "That's not why I'm mad. I couldn't be mad at you for that. I'm mad because you didn't answer the phone."

"Sorry." I mumbled, wiping my tears away with my palm.

Riley  walked over to me and wrapped her arms around me. I leaned my head against her shoulder and freely sobbed. She joined along.

Riley's POV:

It felt good to cry with Farkle. Of course, I loved Lucas, but I needed to cry with Farkle. Because based on what he told me a few weeks ago, I knew he felt the same way I did.

Suddenly, ny phone started rapidly buzzing. I jumped as it vibrated against my side in my pocket. I wiped my tears and answered the phone.

"H-hello?" I answered.

"Riley, honey, this is Katy."

I tensed up. "Oh, um, hi."

"Hi, Riley. I need you to come to the hospital immediately, please. It's important."

"Oh, of course. Is it an emergency?"

Katy took a breath. "We know what the deal is with Maya." I quickly nodded, even though she couldn't see me, and hung up.

"Farkle," I quickly said, grabbing my purse. "Please, I need you to drive me to the hospital. It's about Maya."

No questions asked, he grabbed his keys and rushed down the stairs. We slipped into the car and he started the ignition.