/3 - Reunion/

"The only thing sweeter than a union is a reunion..."

/1994/

"Don't play with me, mama, we really going back home to L.A?" Promise, now seventeen years old, asked her mom.

"I'm not lying. We're headed back home."

"So what made y'all change your mind?"

"You father got laid off from his job."

After 12 years of being employed at Boeing, the company had decided to let Marcus go. He was highly upset and hurt after giving his everything to that company for so many years. However, he ended up landing an even better job, which was right in their hometown of Los Angeles, California.

Although Promise had gotten used to Wichita, even though it was by force, she was beyond ecstatic that she was going to be going home. She and her cousin Shanika have gotten close through the years, Mira and Avonna had clicked as well as Dre, Da'Shawn and Marquise. Tea somewhat warmed up to her cousins, but she and Promise never got along since their first night in Kansas.

Promise was going to miss her family, as well as her boyfriend, Delvon Love. She met Delvon in middle school, but the two started dating once they hit high school. She had second thoughts about doing a long distance relationship, but she loved him so much, she was willing to make it work.

In the meantime, Promise knew she had to call up Dana and let her know the good news. She and Dana still contacted each other after so many years. Bryshaun and Promise had talked every now again but they eventually lost touch after Promise started dating Delvon. Dana had told her that Bryshaun started dating someone himself. Dana felt deep down in her heart that Bryshaun started dating this new girl out of spite that his best friend found a new man. Bryshaun had a small crush on Promise when they were younger. The feelings had never went away. He had hoped and prayed that she would come back to him soon.

"Dana, guess what?"

"What's up, girl?"

"We coming back to L.A!"

"No shit? Took y'all long enough!"

"I know right!"

"Oh my god, I'm so happy! I have to call the guys and let them know! When are y'all coming back?"

"I don't know, prolly when the school year is over."

"Keep me posted, I'll be waiting!"

"Bet, I got'chu!"

~•~•~

School had ended, which meant summer break had begun. The Payne family began to pack up all of their things for the trip home. Promise and Marquise were more than ready to get back to L.A. Avonna and Da'Shawn didn't want to leave all of their friends behind, but they thought Wichita was boring, so they were also ready to go home. Promise had packed her stuff the minute her mom told her the news.

"Girl, I'ma miss you so much," Nika hugged Promise.

"And I'ma miss you. Just keep in contact, and when I start working, I'll send for you, coo'?"

"Okay!"

Veronica hugged Promise's parents before giving the kids a hug.

"Ohhhh I love you guys so much! Y'all take care and be good for ya mama and ya daddy!"

"We love you too, auntie Veronica," Promise smiled. Although Veronica was their cousin, Promise looked at Veronica as an auntie.

Delvon went up to his girlfriend and gave her a big hug and a kiss, "I'm gone miss you girl. Call me once you make it there."