Wings Pt. 1

Jo ran into her shop. She knew she had no chance of escaping; the vines always followed wherever she hid. She heard a glass break.
  Branches fell in, leaves fluttering, and vines crowding through the cracks in the door.
  Jo thought she could make it if she went through the back. She ran and ran until she couldn't even tell if she was running or if she stopped.
  She hid behind a tree she found. She had hoped the vines were dumb enough to continue slithering and not find her.
  It had been a while and no vines had come creeping. She looked back to see the vines had lost their color and shriveled up.
  "Are you Joanna Smith?" A voice called. Well, that was new.
  "Who wants to know?" Jo retorted.
  "That's not of import right now." He said. It was clear now to Jo she wasn't dreaming anymore. The man had a pair of wings. They were like a bat's, with a dark glow coming off them. "I need your help."

Hey! Yeah, I'm writing this in multiple parts.
Originally, this was a paper for one of my classes, but I really liked the story so yeah. It's not exact because I don't have the paper anymore, so...
Sorry if this changed in tone. I was listening to wannabe by the spice girls and take on me and oops I did it again, I played with your heart... anyway, IDK why but yeah.
Anyway, I hope y'all enjoyed this!!