Chapter 19

I ran across the back patio and over the plain grass that led in to the entrance of the woods.

I stumbled and tripped over tree roots and rocks, trying to keep a clear distance from Jason but close enough not to lose him.

It was getting dark, and the sight of the sun began to disappear behind the trees, darkening the area. I watched Jason walk as if it wasn't getting dark, as if it didn't scare him at all.

Of course, he probably did this idiotic shit everyday.

His pace began speeding up. I began to run just to keep up with him. The woods started to get dense, making it harder to see him.

I ran through tightly squeezed trees before something tugged me back, forcing me to the ground.

"Fucking tree branch." I snatched my arm away, untangling my arm's sleeve from clutch of this tree.

"Jason?" I looked up. Just what I feared. I lost him. Just like that, he was gone.

My heart began pounding against chest. Just the thought of losing him out here scared. Trees hung low, the sun was setting and the night was beginning to blanket the ground.

My heart rated heightened, drowning my ears with the constant thud of my heart beat. I struggled to clear my mind, hoping it calmed me. Stay calm. Stay calm. Relax. I wanted to remain as calm as possible but I could only think about whats out here, watching me from the shadows.

"Lions, tigers, and bears oh my." I began repeating it, thinking of the classic movie 'Wizard of Oz'.

"Lions, and tigers, and bears-" In the distance of the night was a faint howl . "And wolves."

I turned to go back. Wheres back? Trees, grass, rocks, everything looked identical.

I just had to follow the asshole didn't I?

Tree leaves began to ruffle in the distance, alerting me. I would have blamed it on the wind. However, there was no wind. Tree branches snapped from another direction. I turned, only to see nothing. Dry leaves crumbled from another direction, again, I turned. 

A bear? A wolf? I did not want to be eaten alive by a wild animal out here. I cant go out like that.

I began running in the opposite direction, jumping over tree roots and swiping past tree branches that dangled from the high trees.

After a while of running, I stopped to catch my breath. Realizing whatever it was, was going to catch me and eat me eventually.

Panting heavily, my breathing scarce as I listened to the tree branches snap in the distance once more. This time, whatever it was, was much closer. 

Shaken in fear, I refuse to accept my fate of being mauled by some animal. This would never happen in the city.

I turned to go back. If it was back. Out of nowhere, a tall shadow appeared in the distance. I squinted my eyes, trying to see what it was, then I realized, the shadow was of a human.

"Jason?" I whispered. The shadow slowly moved closer and closer toward me. This is not Jason.

"Hello my dear." It spoke. Its voice was low, sharp. What scared me the most was I think I heard it once before.

The shadow moved into a opening where the moon light shined down through the open tree top, revealing the recognizable figure.

"Blair?"