Chapter 33

We went to bed as soon as we got back home that night. I say we, yet it was only him. I curled up to him for comfort but never could find myself actually tired.

I only laid there until Carl was asleep. I then got up and wanted to go outside. The rest of the group already buried him and I had to see.

I slipped on a jacket and put on my shoes as I started to walk downstairs. I had to slowly open the door knob so there would be no noises made.

Of course Carl wouldn't have it.

"Maci?"

I turned to see his poor eye squinted, trying to wake up a bit. His shirt was off and his bandage was too.
I smiled slightly once he moved closer to me.
"What are you doing up?" He asked as he pulled me against his really warm chest.

I got this instant relief when I felt just a touch of his skin against mine.
"I just-I wanted to see him." I mumbled.
"You should've got me up." He kissed my head.
I simply nodded, feeling the tears filling up my eyes.
"We're in this together." Carl told me as he held me.

I smiled instantly as those words echoed through my ears.

"You've stuck with me through all of my struggles with my own issues with myself and now I'm returning the favor." He smiled.
"You already have before." I shook my head, looking up at him.
His eyebrows moved down, instantly causing me to smile.

"I've been through what I've been through and you refused to leave me. You've always been there for me. Even if we're not talking or cuddling all night." I smiled as a few tears fell.
He shook his head, denying it all.

"You've always been there, Carl." I smiled as he looked down at me.
He had this smile on his face. A smile of relief for knowing he's doing what he wanted all along.
I held onto his neck and pulled him closer.

He didn't want it. Instead, he picked me up just a bit and hugged me so tight. I looked down and kissed him as he kept me there.
He slowly put me down as he held me closer and pulled away knowing I just needed him there.

"I'll go put a shirt on and we can go, okay?" He smiled softly.
I nodded as he then kissed my forehead.
I stared out the window as I heard thumps on the stairs. I held onto my jacket tight and headed out the door.

I sat on the steps as I stared out into the shiny night sky. I felt small thumps against my chest when I moved slightly. I looked down and saw my necklace. I smiled a bit.

"Are you ready?" Carl asked.
I shook my head.
"Can we just sit here for a bit?" I asked.
He nodded, sitting beside me.
"How come I've barely known my Dad and I'm so broken?" I mumbled.

"It's just knowing he was your true Dad." Carl said as he snaked his arm around my waist.
I leaned against him and sighed.
"My turn for a question." Carl said.
I smiled softly.

"How come nothing ever turns out right for you?" He asked.
My heart warmed up instantly and I just smiled.
"It did though, Carl." I said, shaking my head.
"You've lost everyone and you've been through hell and back. How's that turning out right?" He asked.
I smiled yet again as he instantly looked at me funny.

"I have you Carl. I haven't lost you just yet." I smiled softly.
He breathed out, now terrified from my words. We haven't thought about loosing each other in a long time. It was terrifying.

"I don't want to loose you." Carl mumbled.

"I know." I looked up at him.
"You'll always have me no matter what." Carl then said.
I smiled, nodding. He then held onto my hand and put my hand on his chest.