Chapter 40: Part 2

My eyes shot open as I sat up quickly.

I reached for a hand next to mine but found nothing but crumbled sheets. I covered my mouth from the terror of my dream.

My thoughts ran together in a circle trying to match things up.

"You weren't dreaming."

My eyes found the voice of the boy I missed. He sat in the floor next to Judith. My eyebrows furrowed at the sight.

I laughed an annoyed and angry laugh. I swung my feet over the bed and rubbed my eyes. I got up and walked out with sweat dripping down my face. My heart was racing like I had just finished a marathon.

I went down the stairs and out the door of the main building. I found myself near the front gate ready to leave without a thought.

I turned to see Carl walking towards me with crossed arms.

"Please leave me alone." I begged, looking down at my feet then to the lock on the gate.

"Please Maci- I'm just trying to be here with you just to explain-"

"Carl go! Please!" I begged, screaming out. Tears filled my eyes from the worry of my head.

"I can't handle this, I can't handle this." I shook my head quickly.

I brought my hands up to my hair and looked right at him. This was all my imagination from grief and I hated it. I didn't want to see Carl and I couldn't handle dealing with him. I just said goodbye.

"It's my first night sleeping in a bed without you. You're not real." I squeezed the roots of my hair.

"I just need to show you-"

I screamed out as I began to cry. Before I could think twice, I shoved Carl back and he stumbled with a sigh.

My hands stiffened at the touch of his t-shirt. I looked up with a confused look as he smiled softly.

He smiled slightly before chuckling.

I shook my head from confusion.

"Come here." He smiled with open arms.

I walked up to him slowly, still inches away. I felt the buttons on his flannel and the softness of his shirt.

As soon as I was close enough to smell his scent, I completely melted into his arms.

"Theres my girl." He melted into my touch.

I laughed such a weak laugh which only caused myself to sob into his shirt.

I didn't understand what I was seeing or how this was happening.

"I'm only here to help you for as long as you need me to." Carl smiled softly before kissing my head.

I pulled away slightly as I looked at him. I held onto his forearms and started to really take it all in.

The hair on his arms was a soft yet weird texture. The freckles were placed more perfectly than I remembered. I met eyes with his and shook my head in disbelief.