Chapter 8 ~ Phone Call

Ring...Ring...

  Yuki nervously fiddled with her skirt, sitting at the desk in her room. Being at home, dressed like this, was nerve wracking but helped her stay in character.

Ring...

  "Hello?" A voice answered groggily.

  "Um. Hi." Yuki said, trying to keep her quickly beating heart from pounding out of her chest. Yami sounded very tired. It was kinda...hot.

  Yami audibly cleared his throat, "Who is this? Sorry...I just woke up." He sounded a bit embarrassed.

  Yuki glanced at the clock. It was three in the afternoon. Huh.

  "It's Yuki...from the show?" Yuki said uncertainly, not quite sure how to address herself. She bit her lip and thought she should have mentioned her group's name as Yami took a moment to reply.

  "...Oh! Hey." Yami said, already sounding more awake and almost...excited. It was adorable.

  "Hey..." Yuki replied, unsure how to approach the conversation, swinging her legs anxiously.

  "Good...afternoon. Shit...it's afternoon, huh? Ah...pardon my...cursing."

  "I don't mind," Yuki said honestly, internally fangirling at Yami's voice and inflection; he could say anything and she would feel like swooning. I'm really talking to him, casually on the phone.

  "Well," Yuki heard a soft creak on the other line, "How are you? How was the rest of your night?"

  Does he really want to know? Yugi's heart was stuck in his throat. He felt himself slip, but carried on as if he hadn't broken character, "I passed out." Shit. Why did I mention that.

  Yami chuckled curiously, "Literally or figuratively?"

  "Uh. Both." Yugi felt super embarrassed. He pulled the phone away to take a quick, deep breath, and came back as Yuki, "I overworked myself last week. I slept..fine last night though, and have been taking care of myself."

  "That's good. Not about you passing out, but it's good that you're taking care of yourself." Yami sounded like he had settled down into a seat, talking calmly.

  "Yeah..." Yuki said a bit breathlessly, "And you?"

  "I was awake maybe a bit too long into the early hours of the morning. Probably why I only just woke up...luckily I have no plans for the day. I got caught up in...sorting...my cards." Yami explained slowly, as if he were choosing his words as he spoke them.

  "Right."

  "So. Are you calling about the tournament?" Yami said quickly, changing the subject.

  "Yeah...I'd love to be there!" Yuki replied with a sudden enthusiasm.

  Yami chuckled warmly, "That's great. Y'know. I can grab a spot for one of your friends if you want. I thought about it, and it might have been a little inconsiderate of me to invite you to come alone."

  Yuki swallowed, "Hmm...would it be intrusive for me to ask you to save the second spot? I don't know if I'll bring someone, but I'd like to keep the option open."

  "Not at all." Yami replied smoothly, "I could even keep two extra seats open for you if you wanted to bring both your co-stars."

  Yuki blushed, "I'm flattered but they're not my co-stars. We're a team."

  "I'm sorry, I meant it as a compliment but I guess that was pretty rude."

  "No problem...no, if I were to bring someone it wouldn't be either of them, is that okay?"