Chapter 9 ~ The Mall

"New...look?" Joey asked quizically.

  Yugi felt his heart stop. He was wearing an obnoxious turquoise shirt with a rainbow colored leopard on it, along with some pastel blue jeans. He had dressed up for the mall with Anzu, but neither of them had expected Joey and Tristan to be here.

  "Or is it Yuki?" Tristan asked.

  Yugi visibly shrunk. Anzu was in the dressing room, he was alone waiting outside with the racks of...lingerie. Yugi looked up and raised a suspicious brow at the duo.

  "...What are you doing over here?"

  "U-uh..." Joey stammered, confirming they had been caught red handed.

  "We saw your hair from afar and had to come over to say hi!" Tristan tried to lie, but his tone gave it away.

  Yugi rolled his eyes, deciding he didn't care all that much, "Anzu wanted someone to shop with, since Mai wasn't available."

  "Oh...so she chose...you?" Joey looked incredulous.

  Yugi crossed his arms defensively, "I don't mind."

  "No worries Yuki." Tristan tried to diffuse the tenseness.

  "Um. Well. Actually I'm just me right now. Yugi."

  "...Oh."

  "Yugi what do you think-oh! Heeey...Joey...Tristan..." Anzu had come out from the dressing room, immediately looking distressed when she noticed the two boys hovering around Yugi. Her eye visibly began to twitch.

    Anzu was wearing a black crop top with flowy long sleeves, speckled with small daisies. It looked like something from the 80s; Yugi hadn't seen her pick it out and she looked quite embarrassed as the three gawked at her.

  "Don't like it! Ok!" She said quickly, pivoting on the spot and rushing back into the dressing room.

  "I like it a lot Anzu! You look cute!" Yugi yelled to her as she made her hasty retreat.

  "...What is she shopping for?" Tristan was the first to speak again.

  "Oh...um. I dunno. Just new clothes." Yugi shrugged.

  "If you're not Yuki right now...why are you dressed like that?" Joey asked. His tone didn't sound like he was trying to be offensive, and Yugi trusted he didn't mean it that way.

  "They're comfy...and I like them." Yugi pulled at the hem of the shirt to straighten out the design on the front.

  "It's a nice change from all that leather," Tristan teased.

  "It's different, for sure," Joey wagged his finger playfully.

  Anzu walked back out and subtly flipped her hair, a few items of clothing hanging from her arm. The crop top didn't seem to be one of them.

  "What are you guys doing here?" She immediately asked.

  "Oh...just...making our way to the mall arcade." Tristan explained slowly.

  Anzu raised an eyebrow, not fooled by their attempted ruse, "The arcade is right by the entrance on the first floor. You're on the opposite side on the second floor."

  "Gotta blast!" Joey said, yanking Tristan and booking it.

  Anzu sighed and turned to Yugi, "They didn't give you any trouble about your outfit, did they? You look good."

  Yugi shrugged, "They just thought it was different."

  "Different?"

  "Not in a bad way, I think."