Chapter 15 ~ Touch and Go

Yuki felt herself slipping comfortably into card-based combat. It was a skill she was confident in, despite the stakes and the fact she was dueling against the one and only Seto Kaiba with her idol observing them. Despite Kaiba's taunts, Joey returned and quietly watched from a couch. Yuki forced herself to focus on the cards and the strategy. She felt herself faltering every so often, but was glad everyone in the room was focused and silent. It made it a lot easier. Honestly anyone cheering for either side would make her more nervous.

  She summoned Dark Magician Girl, a favorite of hers despite being one of Yami's signature cards. Both sides of the field began to load up with higher level monsters and Seto Kaiba radiated excitement from across the table.

  "I sacrifice all the monsters on my field to summon Obelisk." Kaiba stated matter-of-factly, quickly scooping the cards off his field and placing the God Card face up in their place.

  Yuki realized how sweaty her hands were and shifted slightly in her seat. She hadn't even drawn her God Card yet.

  Kaiba wore a smug grin, "I'm surprised you lasted this long. But can your pathetic monsters stand up to the power of a God Card?"

  Yuki tried not to let her nervousness show and looked right through him, "Is your turn over?"

  Kaiba scoffed and crossed his arms, leaning back in his seat, "I suppose."

  Yuki drew from her deck. No God Card. But a useful spell. She set down a few traps as precaution, knowing at least one of her monsters was about to be decimated.

  She was holding on with a pitiful amount of life points after another two turns before she finally drew the Winged Dragon of Ra.

  She combined her spells and monsters to get enough tributes to summon her God Card and the air went still.

  Yami began to clap politely and Kaiba smirked, and dismissively waved at Yami to stop and held his hand up at Joey before he could start.

  "I vaguely suspected that was the card you'd never used. Congratulations. Now you have." Kaiba said with an evil grin plastered on his face.

  He took his turn and managed to wipe out the rest of Yuki's life points.

  She felt her whole body shake with adrenaline after she watched the projection tick her life points to zero.

  She looked back up at Kaiba who seemed to be genuinely smiling at her. It was sort of creepy.

  Joey suddenly clapped her on the shoulder, "It's alright Yug' you did your best." This slip up went unnoticed.

  Kaiba's smile turned into a thin line, "I suppose I have to honor my proposal." he said disdainfully, looking at Joey.

  "Yes. But we should be fine to leave to hang out somewhere else by now. You two took a while," Yami chuckled.

  Kaiba stood up and walked toward the door. He paused in the doorway, "You should register for a regional tournament. All tournaments hosted in Domino are approved and some are even run by me. Maybe you'd even stand a chance against Yami someday."

  Yuki felt herself blush.

  "With a little more practice she could beat you with a blindfold rich boy." Joey snapped.

  "Let's hope I live to see the day," Kaiba replied sarcastically and left.

  "Don't mind him. You were amazing, Yuki." Yami pressed his hand into her shoulder reassuringly.

  Yuki brushed her bangs from her eyes nervously, "I don't know about that. I barely got my God Card on the field."

  "But you got your God Card on the field." Yami stated, "That's impressive on its own."