#51 Six Years Later

Assalamualaikum beautiful people!

Yay! It's finally here, sorry for the delay, but I had a busy Sunday. I hope it's still Sunday in some parts of the world because this was supposed to be out way earlier.

It's a bit too descriptive, and I'm still getting used to all the changes, so it might not be a fun chapter. However things will kick into action here on out. Have fun reading!

***

#51 Six Years Later

It was my greatest wish to have Dadi flown in for my convocation ceremony at Sharjah University. I had successfully completed my four years course in fashion design and textiles and I really wanted her to be there to see me receive my diploma.

But I also knew it wasn’t feasible. Dadi’s health wasn’t as strong as it was six years ago when I was still living in Salimabad. She hasn’t got any major diseases Alhamdulilah, but her limbs were weak and she had a touch of arthritis.

So, except for Phuppa and Phuppi who stayed with Dadi and Ayesha Di who was pregnant with her second child, my Ali family came to U. A. E, attended the event at the City Hall in AUS and we had a grand party in Jumeirah afterwards.

Chachi was coddling her eldest grandchild, four year old Kashaf. She was as much of an attention seeker as her father. She had a love-hate relationship with Di’s son Abid according to Bhabhi. Kashaf and Abid were also foster siblings, Di and Bhabhi had breastfed each other’s children, making Abid a non mahram for Kashaf. Bhai was struggling with his son Ihsan who was fighting to gain Bhabhi's attention. Ihsan and Kanza were born only a year apart. Ihsan was only one and a half years old when he became Kanza's elder brother. He was very possessive of his mother, also taking after Bhai in that respect.

Jaad, the eight year old uncle of these babies lorded over them whenever we were vacationing together in India. Currently he was busy with a Dr. Seuss book. The kid devoured books unlike Faiz and Marwan. The latter and Safwan had recently given their twelfth board exams and anxiously waiting for their results to come. The two of them had lost much of their prankster ways and grown into much more calmer young dudes. However they also kept distance from the rest of us and did their own thing. Dad and Muhammed Phuppa let them be so long as they didn’t get into too much trouble and had their grades in check. Safwan was looking forward to med school just like Mom. She was excited that at least one child of hers shared her passion for saving lives. He wanted to be a neurosurgeon.

Marwan had also gone through with the science stream, but he was more into the family line of things. He wanted to be an architect. Ali. Co was a construction company and the reigns of major posts would pass down into the family. In a surprising move, Bhai was going to take over from Dad and Samir got his wish fulfilled as he will be filling in when Chachi retires as CEO in India. Bhai had already shifted to UAE two years back. Samir shuttled between the two countries, he’d be moving to Salimabad permanently this year as he has helped Bhai with the transition.

Faiz had started working in Ali Co. Last year in the HR department. He had also moved to Salimabad. Razi Phuppi was happy that she’d get him around for a couple of weeks in Dubai because of this family reunion.

The whole family was gathered in our apartment and after dinner we were all seated in the hall, just like old times. It made me miss Ashiana so much, I couldn't wait for these two weeks to get over. The entire Ali clan will be leaving for Salimabad together then with the exception of Mom. She’ll be joining us a month later.

All our parents looked pretty much the same with the addition of a few greys here and wrinkles there. Dad had to get glasses and he resembled Dadi so much more. Mom had grown her bangs out so that they no longer covered her forehead, she still looked evergreen and much more happier than all those years back. Her dressing sense was as impeccable and classy as before, with a newfound love for Pakistani suits. Chachu's hairline had receded a bit and he too wore glasses like Dad, he still maintained his fitness with those long walks around the Ashiana estate. Chachi was the same old tall and graceful lady, with crows feet surrounding her eyes that spoke volumes about her happiness on becoming a grandma. She always had one of her three grandchildren about her, especially since they now lived here in Dubai and she could only be with them when they vacationed in Salimabad. Mohammed Phuppa and Razi Phuppi were still the couple that would forever be in that nok jhok stage of romance. They had competition from Bhai and Bhabhi of course.