The Lake

Alex's pov

I walk to the lake with John, chattering away as he listens. We arrive and I hesitate, looking at the churning water, but shake my head slightly. You're not going to ruin their trip. My knuckles whiten on my backpack straps, as I concentrate on the sand. John runs ahead into the water, laughing with his friends. I look over and see a younger girl in a yellow bathing suit sitting on the sand. I walk over and sit next to her.

"Are you Peggy?"

"Yup! You must be Alex."

"That's me!" We talk awhile, not mentioning our mutual aversion to the water. Every so often I glance over at John. This is the first time I've seen him so... at peace with himself and his surroundings. He's usually wound so tight, so anxious, but now he seems so free in the water. Not to mention his body's pretty nice to look at- wOAh aLex tOo fAR wOw OkaY. But in all seriousness, he's pretty hot. Just sayin.

John's pov

It's nice to be able to have fun every once in a while. When I'm with my friends it's the most relaxed I feel. When I glance at Alex from time to time he looks like he's having fun too. On the one hand, I wish he would come in the water with us, he didn't even change into a swimsuit; but in the other, Peggy looks like she's actually having a lot of fun, a rare occurrence when we're near water.

I can see Eliza eyeing Alex from where she strategically placed herself, and I don't like it. Eliza's nice, for the most part, but when it comes to romance she will stop at nothing to get what she wants. The thing that she seems the most focused on is the skirt, as if she's formulating theories in her head as to why he wears it. It makes me uneasy. I know that I've also been sceptical on it, but he is free to wear what he wants. If that's a skirt, then so be it.

A wave of water hits me in the face, startling me from my thoughts. I turn and see Laf looking guilty with Herc laughing his head off beside him. Eliza forgotten, a splash fight ensues.

Peggy's pov

I'm sitting on a beach with a stranger and I couldn't be happier at this moment. Usually when the squad goes somewhere with water, I'm left out, sitting by myself. Now, I hope, it's different. There's someone new who also isn't particularly fond of water. I look at the boy sitting beside me. He actually seems to be listening to my rants instead of tuning out. See, I have theories.

"So what youre indirectly saying is that your life has had so many plot holes that it must be a badly written fan fiction by a sleep deprived high school student at 5 am?"

As he watches in horror and I in amusement, a bunch of little gnomes wearing hats that say 'fourth wall repair' file past, looking at us annoyedly.

"Yeah, but I don't phrase it like that otherwise," I pause for effect, "the gnomes come."

I glance at the water and see Elizzle looking at Alex, half submerged in the water. Fuck. I turn to Alex and point her out.

"That's Eliza. It looks like she has the hots for you. Stay away. She can ruin your life."

He looks at me, confused, but angles his body away. Honestly, I'm not surprised that Eliza likes him. He's pretty okay looking for a guy. I would probably also like him, if i weren't as gay as a pride parade, or in a relationship with miss Mariah Reynolds. Soon enough, it starts to get dark and we all head back to our dorms.

Alex's pov

As we're walking back to our dorms, Eliza walks beside me and tries her best to seduce me. I mean sure, I'm bi, but that doesn't mean I want to date every girl and every boy that I meet. Besides, I lean more towards boys anyway. She continues to annoy me, without me responding, until I get so fed up that I practically sprint to my dorm. A few minutes later John comes in.

"So-Sorry for Eliza."

"It's okay. Besides. I don't like her at all."

He visibly sighs in relief and we talk about today, our studies, anything. I'm having one of the best times of my life, until I glance out the window to see dark clouds gathering outside. I start to panic, turning to john and saying as calmly as I can,

"I'm gonna turn in. All the fun at the lake tired me out."

"O-okay. Me too, actually."

I head to my bed on the opposite end of the room and turn towards the wall, praying to fall asleep before the rain starts. No such luck, though...

A/n hey y'all! Oof guess what chapters coming next? Hmm I wonder. Anyway, thank you all so so much for the endless support even with this inconsistent uploading schedule. You guys are amazing and I love you all so so much. Thank you again!!!! Ok i went back to edit this and upload it and HOLY S H I T THIS HAS 2K???!??!??!?!!!??? WHAT THE ACTUAL HECKY HECK IS THIS SORCERY I DONT UNDERSTAND! AAAAAA IM FREAKING OUT THIS IS AMAAAZING THANK YOU ALL SO SO MUCH!!!! YOU ARE AMAZING, WONDERFUL HUMANS!!! I dOnT uNdeRStanD AaaAAaaAAAaaa. This book has come so far in such a short time and there are so many better books out there than this with only hundreds. I'm so happy, this has made my day. Thank you all so so much and I'll see you next chapter.

-Sarah ❤️❤️💙💙❤️❤️💙💙