Chapter Forty-Nine: Amidst the Glass and Bullets

**

I awaken with a tight feeling around my wrists.

My vision is blurred, my head throbbing and brain disoriented. I don't know where I am, and my last memories are a jumbled mess. The last thing I remember clearly is Isaac telling the guards to get me out of the car. Everything else, for the moment, is darkness. Bleak. Scrambled TV static.

I open my eyes but remain completely still. I wait for sounds before I make any sudden movements; my vision is still getting back to me.

I can hear muffled speech in another language. It takes a moment for me to realize that it's in Spanish. I can grasp the conversation—what I need from it:

"You fucking idiots. Do you not know how to follow directions..."

"I'm sorry, boss. She was surrounded by a security detail—"

"That's no reason for you to cause a scene, throwing her into the car in the middle of the street!"

I recognize the voice—Alejandro. I feel relieved that I hear someone familiar but also dread, knowing that this was his idea. He planned to kidnap me, and whatever he has planned next for me, I'm unsure.

My vision is back. I get up quickly, looking down at the bonds around my wrists. Oddly, no other part of me is restrained; I'm free to walk, but not to move my hands. The room I'm in isn't a dark, damp, cave-like prison. It's modern—gray, white and black color scheme. The bed is actually comfortable, and there's a flat screen TV, a dresser drawer, a bedside table and even windows, but the curtains are drawn. I'm too frightened to pull them; I'm afraid of what I'll find.

I'm afraid to know where I am.

I hear the door knob move and instinctively retreat to the back of the bed, pushing myself against the head board. I can't help but think that this is it—this is where Alejandro puts a bullet through my head. If not him, then someone else will kill me, or worse—there are fates worse than death.

The door opens, and he stands before me. Alejandro—Luís. Luís Mateo Velasquez. He looks at me, and I look at him. We just continuously stare at each other for what feels like ages, as if this is the first time looking at each other. That's what this all feels like, though. I feel like I'm meeting him for the first time right now.

He takes careful strides, knowing how fragile, confused and afraid I am. Slowly, he nears me, hands up in defense and an expression that's vulnerable and genuine, wordlessly telling me that he isn't going to hurt me. But I know better than to believe any of his intentions.

When he's close enough to me, he kneels down and grabs my hands with caution; I'm too stunned to move away from him.

"I'm so sorry," he says to me softly. "This wasn't supposed to happen like this."

There's more he wants to say, but he knows right now isn't the best time. Instead, he pulls out a pocket knife and cuts the plastic ties on my wrists off. When they fall to the ground, he puts the pocket knife away and begins massaging my wrists, asking me if I'm alright, if I want something to eat or something to drink. I've never seen him so...apart.

I take my hands away from his and create distance. He doesn't stop me. In fact, he completely understands.

"I know you're upset," Alejandro tells me. "You have every right to be. I just...I needed to see you."

"So, you resulted to kidnapping me?!" I ask him.

"I can't risk Salvador knowing where I am or one of his lookouts seeing me outside," he replies.