6

~6~

     "Steve, what are you doing?!" Clara whisper yelled at the blond. She had followed him in hopes of helping him blow off some steam, not to help him break into the weapons area.

"Just help me with the door would you?" He said, trying to open the door. Clara helped push the door until it opened slightly. Steve held it open and urged Clara to go in before he followed and the steel door shut again.

Clara looked in awe at the amount of items in the weapons room. She used to make a living off of weapons like these until she discovered they had gotten in the wrong hands. The sickening thought of helping create weapons for a possible enemy filled her mind for only a second. She had been mindlessly wandering around the secured room to notice anything. Suddenly, a hand grasped onto her shoulder and pressed her against a wall. Shock took over her before she realized it was Steve. He held a finger up to his lips, signaling her to be quiet, before pointing to two guards who were rounding the corner.

When it was clear, Steve and Clara gently pushed away from each other, a light blush creeping onto both of their cheeks. Steve took the lead and looked through a few cases before seeing the second floor.
"Here," Steve said, getting in the position for a boost.

"What?" Clara laughed quietly. She didn't know if he was serious or not.

"It's to high a jump, you need a boost," he answered.

"Steve," Clara started. "This is insane! What Tony said was only to get you upset. SHIELD doesn't hide everything."

"Then why did you follow me?" Steve asked. Clara didn't want to say 'because I wanted to get the hell away from Tony,' or 'you're my childhood hero, I want to get to know you.'

She sighed in defeat, "Fine...but there's stairs. I'm using those instead of a boost." Steve hadn't noticed the set them before and felt stupid for not seeing them before. They reached the top and found a silver crate. Clara looked at him and shrugged before Steve opened the steel crate. Upon seeing what was inside, Steve looked up at her angrily. The sight made Clara's to ache drop.

***

The two walked down the halls of the carrier, stomping down the hall to the room which held Earth's Mightiest Hero's. Steve carried the assault rifle they both found, gaining a few looks from the crew that passed him.

"What's phase 2?" They heard as the walked into the room. Suddenly, Steve dropped the rifle on the table, causing Fury, Bruce and Tony to turn around. They were surprised to see the two pissed off.

"Phase 2 is SHIELD uses the cube to make weapons." Clara scoffed. She looked at her brother. "Sorry, your computer was moving a little slow for us." Tony smirked at his sister, knowing that she thought he was right.

Fury began to explain, "Rogers, Stark, we gathered everything related to the Tesseract. This does not mean that we're..."

"I'm sorry, Nick." Tony moved the computer screen towards Fury which showed weapon plans. "What were you lying?"

"I was wrong, director. The world hasn't changed a bit," Steve said coldly.

At that moment, Thor and Natasha walked into the lab. Natasha kept her eyes right on Bruce. He looked at her with an annoyed look. "Did you know about this?" He asked.

"You wanna think about removing yourself from this environment, doctor?" Natasha tried to get him off her back.

"I was in Calcutta, I was pretty well removed." Bruce scrunched his nose.