63

~63~

Clara, Tony, and Bruce worked for the next few hours to make the perfect gauntlet while the others waited patiently in the living area. Steve's leg bounced up and down as he waited for a solution to their five year problem.

In the lab, Tony used mechanical arms to move the stones. They carefully placed the colorful stones into a new Iron Man glove. Clara fiddled with her wedding ring as the three of them nervous for the outcome. She stopped when she saw it had been successful and the gauntlet was working. "Boom!" Clara, Tony, and Bruce all jumped as Rocket scared them. Clara had to hold Tony back as he looked like he was going to kill the raccoon.

Meanwhile, Steve and the others stayed in one of the offices, knowing their place was better there than in a lab. In a habit similar to Clara's, he twisted his wedding ring on his finger. His head jolted up when he heard boots running towards them. Clara ran to the living area, making Steve, Thor, and Bruce shoot you from their spots on the couch. Steve, almost frantic, quickly asked, "Did it work?" Clara nodded and a soft 'yes' escaped her lips as she was too happy and relieved. Steve ran up to her and wrapped his arms around her, picking her up and hugging her tightly. Clara laughed in excitement before Steve put her down. She looked around at the others.

"Well, what are you waiting for? Come on!" Clara said excitedly. They followed her into the lab where Rocket was making last minute adjustments.

"Alright, the glove's ready." Rocket announced to the team. "Question is, who's gonna snap their freaking fingers?"

"I'll do it." Thor shot his head up, knowing it could be his chance to redeem himself.

"Excuse me?" Scott asked and furrowed his eyebrows. Everyone looked at each other and silently agreed Thor was not the right person for the job.

"No, no, no, no." Everyone watched as Thor tried to get past Tony who held him back before he could do anything.

"Wait, Thor, just wait. We haven't decided who's gonna put that on yet," Steve said as he tried to get Thor to reason with them.

"I'm sorry. What, were you just sitting around waiting for the right opportunity?" Thor questioned, making Clara stand up straighter, ready to defend her husband.

"We should at least discuss it." Clara said, crossing her arms.

"Oh, are you going to do it then? Who in this room is an actual god?" Thor asked, looking at the brunette with an annoyed look. Clara knew Thor was hurting, but she also knew he would be risking everything they worked so hard for. He could mess it up and then Natasha would had died for nothing. "Look, us sitting here staring at that thing is not gonna bring everybody back. I'm the strongest Avenger, okay? So this responsibility falls upon me. It's my duty."

"It's not that." Tony protested, but Thor kept pushing him. "It's...stop it!"

"Just let me. Just let me do it. Just let me do something good." Thor's demeanor changed as he practically begged for them to let him do it

"It's not just the fact that that glove is channeling enough energy to light up a continent," Tony started, "I'm telling you you're in no condition."

"What do you think is coursing through my veins right now?" Thor asked.

"Cheez Whiz?" Rhodey said sarcastically. Clara furrowed her eyebrows at her friend.

"Not the time," she said sternly, knowing the moment was to serious and couldn't under no circumstances get off topic.

"Lightning," Thor corrected.

"Yeah, lightning won't help you, pal. It's gotta be me," Bruce announced as he looked at the Avengers. "You saw what those stones did to Thanos. It almost killed him. None of you could survive."