t w e l v e

Violetta felt guilt when she walked into her and Diego's house. She felt guilt when she laid in a bed beside him. She couldn't get León out of her mind. The thought of León was consuming her thoughts.

Violetta was slowly distancing herself from both Diego and León. The person she wanted to be in love with, and the person she was truly in love with. She was in this situation years ago, and didn't want to be in it again, but here she is.

"Vilu?" Francesca called out, walking into Violetta's living room. She was staring blankly at the coffee table, her hand resting on her pregnant belly. There were dried tears on her face. "Diego called me, he's worried about you," Francesca told Violetta as she sat beside her. "I'm worried about you."

"Fran," Violetta began crying. Francesca was quick to hug her. "I can't do it, I can't—" Violetta mumbled into Francesca's shoulders. They stayed there until Violetta's sobs calmed down.

"Vilu, I'm your best friend, you can tell me anything," Francesca assured Violetta.

"You were right, you and Ludmila and everyone was right. I love León. I'm still in love with him," Violetta paused, wiping her eyes. "I don't know what to do—"

"It should be simple, but it's not. You're in love with León, but you love Diego, and you're engaged and pregnant with Diego," Francesca said. "I can't really tell you who to be with. All I said in the past couple weeks was for you to realize your feelings for León."

"I love Diego, I really do, but I can't let him down because of León again," Violetta told Francesca.

Francesca sighed. "Violetta, Diego will understand. He's one of the most understanding person there is," Francesca paused, "He can't really be mad at you for following your heart. Plus, you're giving him something I couldn't."

"What do you mean?" Violetta asked, concerned.

"I haven't told anyone this, but I'm incapable of having children—"

"What?" Violetta and Francesca turned and saw Diego and Marco standing in the entryway. Marco stood there for a few more seconds before leaving.

"You still haven't told him?" Diego asked Francesca. Francesca was quick to get up. "Francesca—"

"No! I didn't tell Marco yet. It took me years to tell my best friend. You probably wouldn't even have known if you didn't go to the damn doctor's appointment with me!" Francesca shouted, and left. Diego slightly flinched when the front door slammed behind Francesca. He turned around and Violetta was gone.

Diego sighed, and went towards their bedroom. It was empty as Violetta had slept in the guest bedroom saying that the bed made her more comfortable, and had less back aches. Diego knew there was something Violetta wasn't telling him, but he didn't want to push her. It could only make things worse.

The next morning, Diego and Violetta were alone in their house, the girls were spending another day with their grandparents. Diego set two full plates in front of him and Violetta.

It was this morning when Diego realized what was happening with Violetta. "You still love León," Diego told her. "And please don't lie, you always got like this when you always thought of him." Violetta nodded in response. "I knew going into this relationship that you'd always have feelings for him. I knew that you'd always choose him. And I'm too stupid to realize that you'd never marry me when León is so close to you."