t h i r t e e n

"Vilu just went into the delivery room!" Francesca ran into the waiting room. Everyone was in there, except Violetta and Diego, of course. Diego was currently in the delivery room with Violetta as she was giving birth.

Herman, Angie, and Gregorio were sitting closest to the door, waiting for Diego to come out saying that their grandchild was born. León was sitting down on a small couch, with María asleep in his lap. Sofia was listening to Marco reading a kid's book to her, Andres was also quietly listening.

Camila and Naty were quietly discussing what they thought the baby's name was going to be. Broduey and Maxi left to get everyone some coffee and snacks from the gift shop halfway across the hospital and a few floors down. Ana was currently playing whatever game her dad had on his phone. Camila and Broduey had found a babysitter for Antonio and Valeria before coming to the hospital because they thought two toddlers would not like waiting.

The new parents were half asleep on the hospital chairs. Federico was sleeping with Noah on his chest, Ludmila was half-asleep rocking Emma's carseat back and forth softly acting as a rocker.

"Really, Fran? You just woke Emma up!" Ludmila groaned when her daughter started crying. The new parents were both exhausted, but Ludmila didn't want to miss the birth of Violetta's newest child. None of their friends had missed a child's birth.

"Sorry," Francesca quickly apologized, and sat beside Marco. "But he's going to be here soon!" Francesca quietly squealed.

"Tia Ludmi, why is Emma crying so loud?" Sofia asked. "I can't hear the story."

"Before you reply, remember that's my daughter you're talking to," León stopped Ludmila from talking. Ludmila turned and glared at León. "And she's five."

"Ay, Ludmila, give me Emma, and you take a nap," Angie interrupted León's and Ludmila's stare-off. Angie carefully grabbed Emma from her carseat, and slowly bounced her back to sleep. Angie went back to her chair, with Emma in her arms. Before anything else happened, Ludmila had fallen asleep.

"Thank you, abuela," Sofia gave a toothy grin to Angie. "Can you finish the book, Tio Marco?" Sofia gave her full attention to Marco as he kept reading the Dr Seuss book.

"We got coffee!" Maxi announced when he carried in two drink carriers, while Broduey carried one, and a plastic bag.

"And snacks!" Broduey added. Maxi was walking around letting everyone grab the coffee.

"What about me?" Ana pouted when she didn't get coffee. "You always get me coffee, dad!"

"What?" Naty questioned. "Maximiliano, you give our daughter coffee?"

"Oh! Don't tell mom. Oops," Ana gave her dad a quick apologetic smile. "Did you at least get me orange juice?"

"Ooh, orange juice?" Sofia questioned turning around.

"They didn't have orange juice, but they had grape juice," Broduey answered, handing the small plastic bottles to the girls.

"Thank you," Ana smiled.

"Any news yet?" Maxi asked as he sat beside his wife. Everyone shook their head.

"They just went into the delivery room a few minutes ago," Francesca told Maxi. "If he was out already, they would play— oh my god!" The little speaker in the maternity ward played a soft melody signaling a baby being born. As on cue, everyone turned around and face the door— everyone except the sleeping couple— and waited for Diego to come announce.

Minutes later, Diego, still dressed in scrubs, came walking towards the waiting room with a big smile on his face. "Dad, Angie, Herman, would you like to meet your grandson?"