The Culprit

Previously:

We watched as the fire spread inside the classroom then into nearby classrooms. The fire alarm rang and soon, all the students were outside. I quickly hid behind Daisy, trying to avoid any attention. The teachers tried dissipating the fire with water and magic but nothing worked. The only person I knew who could possibly get rid of the fire was Areli when I once nearly burned down our entire house, she used a specific spell to get rid of the fire. She taught me the spell later, but I later completely forgot about it.
---------------------

The school was on fire and it was my fault.  
   "To the higher power that decided running over a 17-year-old would be a kind gesture, please forgive me for I have sinned." I silently prayed behind the cover of Daisy. She looked at me, almost as if she were amused, then turned her back when the principal started yelling.

"WHO IS THE CULPRIT THAT DID THIS? DID THEY HAVE PERMISSION? ACTUALLY, NO, PERMISSION OR NOT SOMEONE HERE IS IN DEEP TROUBLE!" The principal looked around frantically, for a possible culprit behind the accidental arson. Other teachers were still trying to calm the students, but from what I could see, no one was hurt but rather in shock.

I peeked from behind Daisy to see that he was angrily questioning Mr. Digby as the explosion had originated from his classroom. "What's the meaning of this Digby? You allowed a student to blow up the entire school?!"

Mr. Digby was a good head taller than the principal who was about a few inches taller than me. He looked down at the principal and said in a sheepish voice, "W-well, the practice yards were in use and I assumed since the group that I was teaching were sons of Dukes, Duchesses, and the King and Queen, that they had the utmost training possible. You know how careful I usually am with the regular classes, I would have never let them use magic indoors!" The principal didn't look impressed. "P-please don't report me to the authorities. I know what the law says but no one's hurt as I can see and rebuilding the building can be done in a snap." He snapped his fingers but the fire was still burning. "Er..."

The principal shook his head. "Fine. I'll look the other way this time, but don't think I'll dial the moment you blow up another building." Mr. Digby sighed in relief and slumped his shoulders. "I would still like to know the student who did this, however. The fire won't go away and I swear I've never seen this kind of spell or power before."

"Oh, that would be Miss Qwerty and she should be..." He looked around, trying to find me but I hid behind Daisy as if I were her shadow. I think my grandma would be proud of the commotion I've caused, but I'm certainly not. If I get caught, they'll probably turn me over to the authorities! I started to shake a little bit and held on tight to Daisy. "Where is she?" He scratched his head.

Daisy, who had been watching their conversation too, spun around and saw me trying to grow smaller. "Uhm, Minx? What are you doing? They're looking for you." She offered her hand to help me up but I stayed crouched.

"What do you think? Hiding, of course! If they find me, they'll turn me over to the authorities, put me in jail for 100 years, then let me die alone!" I whined like a baby. Daisy looked as if she was holding back a laugh.

"What are you talking about? Don't you know the laws? They taught us this during the opening ceremony if I'm correct. 'If you somehow hurt another with magic, cause mass destruction, or open fire in public with permission from a member of one of the Councils, the fault lies with the member and they shall be tried,' or something like that. Weren't you there?" I blinked. Huh. I forgot they had laws here, I just assumed it was an unspoken rules kind of thing. Oh well.

"Uh, no. I was.." Too busy smashing someone's face in. With a door. Hard. "-getting some stuff from the office for my dorm." A small white lie, you could say. She doesn't need to know that her latest new friend is the one that hit her on the first day, right? "I should go now and see what they want. Are you sure they can't try me in a court of law?" I stood up.

"Yep. Absolutely sure. I used to read library books when I wasn't doing chores and helping my mother and one of them happened to be on the universal laws for most species. They'll probably call your parents though."

I winced. "Cool, I'm going to head over now. Wish me luck and hope my parents don't kill me when I get home." She laughed. I started to walk.

They were a few feet from where they were originally standing, looking over the students and fire for me, the culprit. The fire still burned bright-or should I say, darkly-despite all the water and spells being used on it. I walked up behind them, but it's as if the principal had eyes on the back of his head because he sensed I was behind him and turned around. "Hm? Who are you? I didn't see you during the opening ceremony..."

Mr. Digby also turned around. For some reason, I was suddenly nervous despite having full confidence to walk over here a minute ago. "E-er, um, I..." The principal looked confused while Mr. Digby looked surprised.

"Miss Qwerty! I thought you had run off. We were looking for you." The principal was the one that looked surprised this time.

"Oh? So you're the one that set fire to the entire building and nearly killed all of the students in it?" I was about to say yes but then I realized it was a rhetorical question. "I've decided to look past this situation of ours since it's your first offense, but be very careful next time as you could've put yourself or Mr. Digby on trial. I'll write it off as a 500-word apology letter to me and I won't call your parents on one condition."

I gulped. "Which is...?"

"Tell me how to put this darn fire out. Nothing is working and we need to resume classes. We don't have time to scour the books for information that may or may not be there. I've never seen anything like this before, just what is this? A spell?" 

Whoops. I'm in trouble now. Areli taught me the spell but I can't remember even a cinch of what she said. I pretty much just zoned out the majority of the time. "O-oh...Um, it's not a spell, at least, not an actual one. It's just me outputting mana." Distract him with questions and answers, nice thinking Minx!

"Huh. What type are you?" I went to answer but Mr. Digby put a hand on the principal's shoulder.

"The spell, please?"

"R-right. It's...in a book somewhere in my dorm." Lies. "Only I can use the spell, so I'll go fetch it real quick then come back." Another lie, but it would buy me some time. I started off towards the dorm in a run, but once they were a good distance away I walked slowly.

----------------------

Wowie, an actual chapter for once!

I don't know if I'll ever have a consistent update schedule ever again but I'll try to update as frequently as I can.

(͠≖ ͜ʖ͠≖)