Chapter 15

"You've gotten better." 

Qui hummed quietly, while Sasuke inched closer until he was crouching on the branch across from her. When she opened her eyes, she immediately viewed the base of the trunk. She averted her eyes over to see Sasuke poised with kunai in hand, ready to strike. 

"Obviously." 

"Do you really just want to study family history?" Sasuke asked, nailing his attack dead center on the target several meters away. 

"It's better to learn from history and not make the same mistakes twice," Qui retorted, planting her hands on the tree trunk she was standing, parallel to the ground. She was honing her Chakra control and every bit of practice improved her bit by bit. 

"But still..." 

Qui snorted. "Not everyone is revenge-driven like you. Everyone has a role to play in society." She quirked a smile. "Even murderers."

"Oh? What is your role then?" 

"Well, I'm studying family history and the era back then," she responded thoughtfully. Sasuke only snorted and leaped off the tree, walking away. However, he turned around to face her, the Sharingan gleaming back at her. 

"This is why you are just as weak as Sakura. You don't have a strong motivation. You haven't experienced pain and suffering like have," he scowled. 

"Ah yes, of course. Every ninja experiences pain and suffering during the childhood and uses whatever anger they have to get up and fight until they die of recklessness and lack of motivation," Qui snarked right back. "You're right. Should I go murderer my parents next? Oh, wait. Someone else has to. Wanna do it?" 

Sasuke only disappeared in response, leaving her behind. "Maybe I don't want to be the world's strongest ninja, Sasuke-kun," Qui whispered laughingly. "I certainly don't want to be Hokage, and I don't have a revenge plan." 

"Maybe you could be my apprentice," Kabuto said, appearing next to her.

"And watch you dissect everything in sight? I think not. Oh, and common courtesy--hello, Kabuto-san." 

Kabuto sighed but responded, "Yes, hello, Qui." 

"Good to see you, Uncle." 

"Yes, you too. I see Sasuke is nagging you."

"Yeah. I think he's afraid I'll be killed next." Qui tossed a packet of notecards at Kabuto. "This is everyone his elder brother Itachi has killed, both Uchiha and non-Uchiha." 

Qui studied the Uchiha Massacre probably more than any other Great Ninja War. She didn't dare interrogate Sasuke--oh no no no no. She studied his life and calculated his reactions to everything. To girls he knew or girls he didn't. People who spoke about his past. His own team. His childhood turned dark. The empty Uchiha Compound. That happy life that he lost to his older brother. 

"Think he has an interest in you?"

"I don't need protection," Qui sighed.

"You think you're 63% safe because Itachi doesn't have interest in weak children or non-Uchiha. On the other hand, you admit you could be a target because you are close to Sasuke and one of his team members. Itachi, according to Sasuke's report, is seeking strength and power, so he might motivate Sasuke by killing people close to him." 

"Bingo. I still I'm safe. Itachi would have killed Sasuke's classmates by now. Hello? It's been a while." 

"But Sasuke doesn't think that way and continually bugs you to train harder, huh?" Kabuto laughed while his niece sighed in exasperation. "How about I teach you a few tricks here and there? That way he'll back off a little. If he doesn't you can put him in his place." 

Qui smiled. "I knew Mother liked you for a reason." Kabuto beamed back. 

"I see you've been practicing Chakra control, yes? Let's see, how about this?" 

He weaved a few hand signs and his hands were soon glowing with spiking blue Chakra. "So you've been doing feet, right? Focus on your hands." 

"What is this technique?" Qui asked in awe. 

"This is the Chakra Dissection Blade." 

"Oh, dissection all over again." 

"Hold on. This can be used offensively. You would need extensive control, but having you practice right now would benefit you early on. It's best to learn techniques as soon as possible. Youngesters like you pick up more easily through movement." 

Qui shrugged. " If you say so, Uncle."