Chapter 50

No matter how much he wanted to, Kakashi couldn't stay and see the results of the doctors' decision regarding Sakura's life. He had to return to the battlefield, trust those doctors, and respect their final decision. For now, he could only hope for the best and continue his work in this war. 

"Captain!" A member of his team yelled, running up to him. "We're all needed at the desert grounds! The Akatsuki revived Madara!"

Kakashi couldn't believe the news. "What?" Desperation and uncertainty gripped him, and the churn in his stomach was familiar and unsettling. 

"It's true! Madara also wiped out the entire sixty-seventh team on the Westside!" 

Kakashi couldn't stop the coil of despair filling him, but he also couldn't let that be his downfall. He gripped the bloodstain sword in his hands and lifted his chin determinedly. Despite carrying years of experience and witnessing death far too many times to count, the fear controlling him was strange and not in a good way. 

"Let's go. We know where we're needed." 

"Hai!" 

While Kakashi responded to the orders from HQ, the rest of the Five Kage were also on the move, ready to stop this Madara-reincarnate. If this was the original as many had claimed, then the Allied Shinobi Forces could lose this war and all be in serious trouble. 

"So what did I miss?" 

New Madara arched an eyebrow under his mask, looking at the Allied Shinobi Forces standing warily in front of Madara, White Zetsu, and Qui. Madara had wiped out a good twenty thousand people all in a brief moment and was intimidatingly staring the rest down. The Five Kage were on their way but had yet to arrive. The threat of a living Uchiha wielding unbelievable power and showing absolutely authority on the battlefield was enough to call the Five Kage. 

"Oh, everything!" White Zetsu exclaimed in joy. He and Qui had been watching Madara spring into action, and in a show of power and skill, Madara took out their opponents for them quickly easily. "The Allied Shinobi Forces are nothing compared to us!" 

Madara snorted, overhearing White Zetsu. "Deadweight." 

New Madara looked over at Qui. "Oh, I love this job already," she answered, her voice light. "I haven't had to lift a finger." 

"Slow," Madara added. 

Qui rolled her eyes. "So he keeps saying that." 

"Hmm," New Madara grunted. "Qui, come over here." He waved her over casually. The Allied Shinobi Forces tensed, ready to fight, as the girl walked over to her mentor. New Madara waited until she was close enough to pull her closer to him by the shoulder. Then, without warning, gripped her shoulder tightly, and slammed his free fist into her opposite arm. 

"What is it--AHHHH!" Throwing her head back, Qui screamed in surprise and pain. New Madara held her in place as he fussed with the syringe in her. "Wha--what--is that?!" 

"An energy shot. It's much like a soldier pill but is much more advanced. Quite useful. It's been a long day. You've been out in the field for over fifty hours. If you slow down, it'll be because you won't have time to rest," New Madara explained, removing the syringe. "It should kick in a moment or two."

"How...long...will this thin'...las'?" Qui asked tiredly. Although she promised Uncle Igo to listen to her mentor, the way New Madara was forcing her duty and pushing her to her limits angered her. She saw no point in fighting or any desire to fight again. 

"Long enough to wipe them all out. And to give you a good start," New Madara replied, his voice strange. He owned a steady view of persuasion and confidence. Now though, although it was almost impossible to discern, Qui could hear an unfamiliar emotion sneaking among his words. 

"...wha?"

"Enough. Let's get going. We have a war to win." 

"I highly doubt this girl is going to be any more useful to us even with the help of medicine," Madara scoffed, undermining New Madara and Qui. 

"O-oh, shut up," Qui retorted weakly. She found it increasingly difficult to move her body more fluidly. New Madara gripped her shoulder tightly to keep her upright. 

"I see it's kicking in." 

"Y-yeah?" Qui leaned on her mentor for support, unable to stand up by herself. New Madara allowed it, taking on her weight. 

"Well, you'll feel a lot better a couple of minutes. For now..." New Madara glanced at the Allied Shinobi Forces around them. 

"Where's the nine-tails?" Madara asked. He could tell that the current clone of Naruto embodied in the nine tails standing in front of him was not the original. As time dragged on, Madara grew impatient, wanting to conqueror and complete his project as soon as possible. 

"It's coming to defeat you!" the Naruto clone shouted. "Just you wait!"

"Ngh," Qui groaned. 

"That should be reassuring," New Madara said dryly. "In the meantime, why don't we wipe you all out first?" 

"Hmph. There's no need. I can take these ninjas all out without your help," Madara said commandingly, stepping forward. A couple of uncertain people stepped back, unwilling to die just as their comrades did minutes ago by Madara's hand. 

The Allied Shinobi Forces were ambitious ninjas, but they were also mindful of their own lives. They couldn't just run up to him and expect to seal him right away. No, they needed a plan to take him out cunningly and skillfully. Chances are, they will probably find a weakness, but only have one shot to do it right the first time. 

"Ah, I should probably change forms," Madara muttered, loud enough for all to hear. His hands swiftly weaved a few hand signs, breaking the reanimation jutsu. "There we go." 

Everyone watched in horror as the puppet broke free from its strings and became human once again in front of their eyes. They had been preparing for the worst, yet they hadn't anticipated this!

"...Do you st'll nee' ne?" Qui asked, half incoherently.