Chapter 27

Qui stepped outside her home, a wooden case clutched with one hand. She headed towards the park for some peace and quiet. Her father was hammering away, and her mother was making the amber polish for the wooden puzzles. Qui couldn't wait to start solving them. 

But for now, she had something else to do. She perched on a bench and opened the wooden case, taking out paper and a pencil. 

Dear Uncle Igo

After the Chunin Exams, everything was...uneventful. 

The Third Hokage died, leaving Konoha in a dire situation. Without a leader, Konoha would be susceptible to other enemies. They needed a new Hokage. 

I was with Naruto who was with Jiraiya and overheard the Elders saying that they were considering asking one of Lord Third's students to be the next Hokage. Jiraiya didn't want to be Hokage, but he offered to look for Tsunade, one of the legendary Sanin. 

I didn't pass the Chunin Exams. I don't know how much you were able to see my fight against Shino-san, but here is a super condensed version of the whole fight. I burnt some bugs to crisp and tried some techniques Uncle Kabuto taught me. The only exciting thing was when I got to see you and that fight between Konoha and Suna. 

Team Seven doesn't have much to do. Sasuke was injured, and so was Naruto. Sakura and I are fine. We still go on D rank missions. Konoha sort of has a new ally? I guess? Suna sort of became an ally. Konoha and Suna both lost their leaders and everyone's a little lost and trying to pick up the pieces. 

I am bored. A little. Alright, I am extremely bored. Nothing is happening. 

Kakashi Sensei is currently hospitalized. He overdid his Sharingan and is eating the bitter consequences. So we're unable to do missions.

Naruto went to train with Jiraiya. I heard Jiraiya is going to take Naruto to find Tsunade. I don't know when but soon. 

Sasuke, I have no idea what he's doing. He's fine, I guess? He has been really...quiet. Well, when isn't he? 

Sakura is doing community volunteer work. She's in the library, so good for her. She visits Sasuke in her free time, which is pretty often. 

I worked in my father's workshop a little every day to lessen the burden. Father's puzzles are really unique and high in demand in other places besides the store. I mostly do details of the puzzles and finishing touches as well as packaging and checking orders. Father's pouring most of his attention over ideas and revelations of new pieces. He gets in this mode, you know, and gets all excited about it, then immediately has to try them out. 

Qui kept writing the letter, adding little, absentminded sketches in the corners of the pages, careful not to smudge the pencil lead. She was eager to tell Uncle Igo everything that had happened over the past few weeks. Since he wasn't here, she might as well tell him all the details. 

Love,
Qui 

She finished writing the extensive letter and gathered her things. With the wooden case in hand, Qui headed back home. 

Upon her arrival, her mother greeted her hurriedly at the door. "Qui, I need some ingredients for tomorrow, can you go to the market and buy them? I need the bean curds from the southern district!" 

"Sure," Qui replied, taking the shopping list. "Wait, I just need to send this over to Uncle Igo." The clay pot was always tucked away in the shoe cupboard, as Uncle Igo instructed her to do. 

"You know how to get there, right?" her mother confirmed, handing Qui a light jacket from a separate cabinet. Qui took a moment to inhale deeply the sweet scent of Knight Bell wood imported from the Land of Lightning. Her father fell in love with the silvery dashes in the wood and promptly bought the lumber, despite all the heavy expenses to get it home. In the end, the beautiful closet for their jackets, hats, and bags was absolutely worth every ryo.  

"Of course. I'll get back in like an hour and a half." 

"Stay safe!" 

"Okay, bye!" Qui left home once more and headed towards the marketplace. 

After over a little of an hour had passed, Qui turned to the southern district to buy the bean curd. The western district markets didn't sell fresh bean curd that her mother preferred, so Qui had to walk quite a bit to reach the marketplace. 

Qui strolled about, looking for the bean curd stalls, spying a stall several meters away. 

She was about to march to her destination when a familiar hand seized her by the shoulder and yelled, "Qui?!"