Chapter 17

Knowing what your weaknesses were was helpful in the training process. Kabuto and Qui spent two hours in the training facility to practice Chakra techniques and another two hours elsewhere to spar. 

Kabuto spent hours looking over all their recordings to help identify her weaknesses. For example, Qui was using a ton of energy to use the Chakra Dissection Blades and didn't sustain it long enough for battle or offensive use. To remedy this problem, Kabuto had her practice controlling her Chakra.

He would take a machine and tie a wire to it, then give her the other end of the wire, and hold onto the machine. Qui would send her Chakra in tiny increments and Kabuto would tell her the numbers the machine calculated based on her Chakra input. Throughout this process, he would advise her to relax more or focus on the Chakra or have her imagine the Chakra traveling in a small sliver across the wire. 

After of a week of persistent, mental, and physical focus, Qui held the Chakra Dissection Blades without wasting energy. 

"Breathing is also super important," Kabuto added. "It helps calm your mind, aids the flow of Chakra throughout the entire body, and a lot of other important aspects of being a fighter." 

"Okay." 

"You're doing well, but I'm going to teach you another technique just in case you're stuck," Kabuto decided, walking until he was in front of her. "Here, give me your hand." 

Qui extended her hand out, watching him grasp it, and suddenly, blue Chakra emitted from the two hands clasped together. 

"This is the Chakra Absorption Jutsu. Learn it well and it will give you the upper hand in a battle," Kabuto explained, releasing her hand. "Come on, let's see how much I took." 

The pair looked at the screen hanging on the wall, revealing their physical stats. Qui watched in amazement as the blue color on her gauge went down quite a bit into the danger zone, while her Uncle's Chakra gauge went up, almost full. 

"About 13%. Now, your turn. Ah, word of advice: be careful whose Chakra you absorb. Can you guess why?"

Qui shifted her weight as she thought. "Suppose I steal someone's Chakra that's dangerous and overwhelm myself. Then this technique will backfire on me and result in my own death." 

"Correct. Senjutsu-Chakra can turn you into stone if you don't know how to handle it. For now, find people who you can leach off of safely and--" he stopped immediately, glancing at her. "That's actually really bad." 

"'Leach' and 'safely' don't belong together," Qui hissed. 

"I know." 

Kabuto and Qui worked some more before leaving the training facility. One more week until the Chunin Exams. 

"Good luck, Uncle." 

"You too, Qui. I'll be so proud to see you win a fight and--"

"You mean see Sasuke win a fight," she cut in slyly. "Nice try, Uncle."

"Rude," he drawled. 

One week ran and passed without much thought.

"Mom, I'm going now," Qui called to her mother as she slipped on her shoes and cracked open the door. Even the door was hidden in the wall. The door had to be opened by sliding the polished panels of wood around to unlock it. To lock from the outside, the key went into the key slot and the hidden button to move the panels properly to open the door from its unique doorframe. 

"Qui, wait." Black, bobbed hair swayed as her mother Noriaki hurried to the door to give her an envelope. "It's from Uncle Igo." 

"What?"