Chapter 44

Sasuke, along with his team from Orochimaru, frankly helped New Madara declare war against the Five Nations. The people's rage was chaotic and bloodthirsty, the desire to win and survive encouraged them all.

Qui was whisked away to continue training, her strength slowly increasing. If anything, Tobi and Zetsu made sure they would get the full extent of Qui's Sharingan once she awakened it. 

No, she hasn't gotten her treasured eyes yet. It often made her question whether or not she truly did have them. Tobi only reminded her to be patient and focus on her own work. The results would show themselves soon enough. 

War preparations among the Five Great Nations were no secret. Every nation and country for itself and no village wanted to give up all their resources, no matter the price the Great Nations would offer. They had the need to protect themselves after all until the next harvest. 

Uncle Igo stood at the entrance of his own hideout. He had been preparing this grand finale for years now. Everyone was playing a role exactly how he wanted, and Kabuto's resurrected people were in place, waiting on his command. He was more than prepared for this war. A war he would win. 

"It's hard to believe after all these years the time to fight in a war such as this would ever come," he whispered. "Despite all those difficulties, I have tools at my disposal and a victory within my reach. To think, when I looked at Little Qui, I would ever dream of getting such a good chance for this!" 

Hours later, the Akatsuki hideout still housed the same people, Qui, New Madara (he was leaving more frequently and his Tobi mood stopped coming out), and Kabuto. Sasuke was out there somewhere with his team, doing who-knew-what. 

Zetsu was currently in the cloning business with Kabuto and remained in a comatose-like state at the moment. Accidentally killed your best friend? Didn't mean to swing that club that hard on your sister? Get your perfect clone of a deceased loved one here! The payment will be a transaction of corpses. One revival costs fifteen people. (Also, it should be noted, you might not get the right loved one back) We have a no return policy here. Come get them now! 

Or at least that's why Qui imagined if Kabuto started a business with Zetsu. Perhaps more likely with currency involved. 

"Where is Uncle Igo now?" Qui asked New Madara. "He handed me over to you in exchange for my wellbeing, but where is he now?" 

"What he does outside of our agreement is of no concern to us," he replied swiftly. "He is a man of his own agenda and knows exactly what he wants."

"Will you return me back to him?" the teen inquired, hope surging in her heart. 

"Once we have no need of you. The victory shall be ours and you can return to your peaceful life as you so wish." 

"I can't promise you I'll always win my battles," Qui warned, holding his gaze. "I am a faulty human being after all. I have my weaknesses and strengths. I might not be able to control my Sharingan." Qui didn't know if she would even survive this war and overcome the seal on her eyes. 

The seal Qui had on her eyes was unique in its design. It could not be removed by external means. Doing so would activate the self-destruct mode and result in Qui's permanent injury or even death. 

The only way to remove or break the seal was to get Qui to physically overcome the block. She would need to fight past it, the seal that's holding her back and have impeccable control over the eyes. Failing to successfully control her eyes within a time limit was a recipe for death and destruction. 

This ancient seal was created to prevent people losing control over their power. It forced them to become a vessel that would be knowledgeable and capable of handling their own powers. If they failed, the seal would stop their ability to use their powers. 

"I'm not experienced enough." Thousands of simulations of future battles Qui would fight didn't hold a candle to the real warfare on the battlefields. Everything would be so much more different. "I..."

New Madara eyed her through his mask carefully, gauging her overall state and demeanor. Then unexpectedly, he pulled her head toward his chest, effectively blocking her sight. In the next moment, he leaned forward to press a soft kiss to the crown of her head, presumably moving the mask to do so. Qui stood still, accepting the parental love her village's greatest enemy offered her. 

"Fight until the end," New Madara answered, stern, yet confident. He pulled back to readjust his mask, concealing his identity from her. The furrow in Qui's brow had yet to leave, displaying her negative mood. 

"But I haven't awakened my eyes yet." She was oddly disappointed that the training she did for years had yet to reap any pleasing results. She was growing impatient. If she didn't have enough time to adjust to her new eyes, plenty of disasters could befall her. She needed to know how much power to use at once and pick up new tricks easily from New Madara who would be her teacher once she had her eyes. 

New Madara laid a hand on her shoulder, a feeling of pride surging through him. Her own eyes held confidence with a sense of reality and comprehension. She might die here. But he refused to let that happen. He had already gone this far. No turning back now.

"You will because you are my successor."