Chapter 33

Seven weeks of phase two came to an end. Everyone wasn't as tired and their fighting spirit was stronger than before. Even those who didn't wish to engage themselves in any kind of fighting were emitting glowing energy with confidence in their posture. 

"Everyone, get your bags and head outside with your floor mates! Line up and wait for your instructors to check your rooms!" 

No one noticed Qui had been replaced by an imposter during the last week of the program. Kabuto made sure the imposter replicated and acted like Qui as closely as possible to buy time. 

Although the camp was technically over, the students remained mindfully quiet and chattered softly among themselves. Imposter-Qui discovered her original was unable to make friends due to the intense schedule. 

"Great! Everyone, good work! It was a great pleasure working with you all! We're going to grab our stuff and start heading back home!" 

The imposter rolled her eyes. One more walk it is then. The students slung their bags over their shoulders and began walking down the mountain, following their instructors who would lead them back to Konoha. 

After a few hours, the instructors let everyone take a break. Then, they all trekked down the mountain all the way to the bottom. 

"Are teenagers supposed to be this quiet?" An instructor asked, scratching his head. "I thought they'd be so energetic." 

Once the entire group had finally reached the foot of the mountain, the instructors split the students into groups and led them to different districts to save time instead of having everyone walk from house to house. 

After dropping a student at their front door, instructors checked off the student's name and moved to the next house. 

Once all the instructors were finished, they regrouped at their leader's house for a quick overlook for anything they missed. 

"It's been a successful camp, hasn't it? Oh, Kakashi-san?" the instructor who had been leading students in the western district noticed the famous ninja walking slowly toward the instructor and his partner. 

"Hey. I'm looking for a girl named Kurisani Qui. I heard she was in your group."

"Kurisani? Sure, she should be--" he looked back, only to find her missing. "Wait, where did she go?"

"Eh, didn't you check her name off?" his partner asked, pointing to the list. "See?" 

Kakashi watched in growing concern. It was his job to see Qui escorted to the Hokage's office, but he didn't consider even with under heavy surveillance that she would go missing!

Sure enough, Kurisani Qui was crossed out. "But I don't remember dropping her off at her house!" 

Panic escalated. "Where's her house? Maybe she got excited to see her family and ran off by herself." 

"Two blocks and make a right. Then three blocks and a forked alley should show. Go to the left one! Her house will be apartment number 42."

"I'll head there then. Meet me there once you drop off all the students!" The female instructor dashed away toward the Kurisani home, Kakashi not far behind. 

"Yes?" Noriaki answered the door. "Can I he--"

"Is your daughter home?" 

"Well, no. Kakashi Sensei! What's going on? I thought my daughter went camping?" 

"We might have some complications." Kakashi Sensei said slowly. "Hey, I'll take over here. I'll find Qui for you guys." 

"She's our responsibility," the camp instructor glared.

"I'll take over your responsibility then. She is my student as well and I believe I know where she is," Kakashi added, glancing at Noriaki. 

"Hey! Did you guys find her!?" The second instructor yelled, running towards them. "All the other kids got home safely!" 

"No, only Qui is left. Kakashi-san, I understand Qui is your charge, but it is our responsibility to send her back home safely. If word gets out our program is unreliable and the safety of students is in jeopardy, our program will shut down! So please! I beg of you! Please let us search for Qui privately!" Both instructors gave a bow to Kakashi.

Kakashi understood how they felt, but he had orders from the Hokage and had to prioritize. 

"There's no need for that," Kakashi assured them. "I won't say a word of this to anyone. Your program is highly respected and I believe you all did your best to protect the students. However, I see Qui and her family on a complex level, as per orders from the Hokage. Therefore, I need you to be relieved from your duty and tell the Hokage the bad news." 

It wasn't easy and the instructors put up a good argument, but Kakashi showed them some written proof of having charge over Qui, so the instructors were forced to surrender the situation to Kakashi. 

"Kakashi Sensei, could it be? Did someone find out--about us?" Noriaki asked worriedly.

"I think so. I'm not certain yet, however. I need tell Hokage-sama immediately and tell her what the situation is."

Somewhere away from Konoha borders, the imposter found Kabuto waiting for her, using the guise of the forest shadows and nightfall. 

"Mission complete, sir," the imposter announced. 

"Great work. Let's get out of here."