Chapter 30

Sasuke was gone. He just upped and left. 

Sakura hadn't stopped crying, and Hinata became the shoulder of comfort for Sakura. Everything was confusing but also understandable. 

Sasuke's rage overcame him, seizing him with a surge of willpower, pushing him to break his limits and sacrifice everything in the name of revenge. Caution and steady learning no longer were enough for him; he wanted his power now and the only way was to get it from Lord Orochimaru. 

So Sasuke slung a backpack over his shoulder, thanked Sakura, pushed past Qui, and left. 

Naruto, the best friend anyone could ask, wouldn't reply well to that, not with Sakura sobbing and begging him to bring Sasuke back. 

So Naruto and his new makeshift gang chased after Sasuke. But Sasuke wasn't alone. He was guarded heavily by some Sound Ninjas were fought everything to keep Sasuke. 

Lord Orochimaru was well educated in the power, giving it and using it. He knew how to manipulate his followers and successfully created thousands of ninjas who fought with demon-like power and rivaled the ANBU in their own way. 

Naruto and his gang returned empty-handed. Oh, that's not true. They came back with injuries they hadn't had before! So that was (expectedly) new. 

After reading her Uncle Igo's response to how she should react to Sasuke's disappearance, Qui stepped away from the retrieval mission and watched Naruto and the others leave eagerly. 

Her Uncle was right again. Sasuke was too headstrong and he had people backing him up. He wasn't going to turn from this opportunity to kills his brother, even if it meant selling his soul to the devil. 

However, all was not over yet. Naruto went on a long trip with Jiraiya Sensei and didn't look back, intending to bring Sasuke back home. 

"I'll bring him back, I promise!" Naruto beamed, giving Sakura and Qui a thumbs-up. So don't you worry!" 

Sakura wanted to become a medical ninja and requested to do so under Lady Tsunade's guidance. 

"I want to help on the battlefield and save lives!" Sakura declared. "I don't want to be rescued anymore, and if I have to bring back Sasuke one day myself, I need to be ready!" 

As for Qui, she didn't express any kind of eagerness to get her teammate back. When she told Uncle Igo (through a letter, of course) that she had not pursued him, he praised her and told her not to be too concerned. 

However, she wasn't allowed to rest on her laurels. 

"Lady Hokage? This is an important file from Lord Third," Shizune, her assistant said, handing a black folder. 

"Huh, what is this time..." Lady Tsunade uncaringly opened it, skimming through the information. However, after a couple moments, her eyes widened. 

"This is...!" the Fifth Hokage sat up, flipping through the pages of the folder almost frantically. "It's her? Kurisani Qui?" she slumped back in her seat. "I see...! No wonder! It's almost the same as--!"

"Lady Tsunade, what's wrong?"

The Hokage in question only glared at the words on paper. "Shizune, burn this folder. We cannot let anyone read this!" 

Meanwhile, Kakashi Sensei needed to speak with his remaining student and headed to the park for privacy and fresh air. 

"Qui, a training program is coming up this summer and fall," Kakashi Sensei said. "This program is actually training you to pass the Chunin Exams. Sounds weird, but it works, so why don't you take it? They have one on one instructors working on developing your abilities." 

Qui shrugged, taking the stack of papers from him. "I guess so. I'm not opposed to it." 

Kakashi Sensei nodded thoughtfully. "So this program will be working on the fundamentals all over again, Chakra control and the like. Private classes in this training camp help evolve you past the basics and actually apply the classroom on the field. It's no easy task to suddenly move on the spot and take what you've learned to good use immediately. So this training camp will help teach you to do that." 

Qui sighed but gave a twisted smile. "I suppose you also doing this for another reason..." 

"Hmm?"

"Sensei," Qui faced her teacher solemnly, "you want me to be in this training program because you are training me to become another useful weapon, right?" 

Kakashi Sensei didn't reply. 

"I really don't want to..."

From the very start, Qui showed no intention of becoming a village weapon for battle purposes. She wanted a quiet life away from drama and noise. That's one of the main reasons why she chose to become a historian. 

But she also had a little secret that would make her a powerful being and another village weapon if war were to come. She would fulfill a position that many would yearn for and stand strong. 

Qui stared at Kakashi Sensei a moment longer before surrendering. "Alright. I just have to fill in this application, right?"

"Right." 

xx/xx

Dear Uncle Igo,

I think I've sold my life goal to the devil, or the Evil Village Heads. 

Teachers always watch their students closely and try to push them in the direction they think works best for each student, regardless of their end goal. 

I wanted to become a diligent historian, away from fighting and chaos. It's all selfish nonsense and a complete waste of time if people don't recognize their mistakes and learn from them. If they actually did, wars wouldn't last. 

But now, I've decided to let them [the village leaders of the education system] have their way, at least for a while. It's fine, no biggie. I'll put my foot down when I need to because I know what I want in the end. I want peace in my life and stay away from the chaos.

I'm going to become this super weapon because they decide the end is coming soon, so they need to get ready and that means making everyone's training more intensive than ever. 

Hurray!

Oh boy. 

xx/xx

Dear Qui-chan,

Don't you worry! Uncle's got a really awesome plan that will help you become history's greatest historian! Just sit tight and hang on okay? I absolutely promise to get you out of Konoha's "let's make Qui into a weapon" program!