Chapter 19

"It's rude to ask for a name when you've not introduced your own," Sasuke sneered, turning to face the owner of the voice. 

"Hyuga Neji," the boy bit out. 

"Uchiha Sasuke," Sasuke said coolly. 

Both boys glared, sparks and tension flying high. Jealous he wasn't noticed as much as Sasuke, Naruto asked, "Do you want to know my name?"

Neji scoffed, ignoring Naruto. "Let's go."

Sasuke glowered at him a moment longer before turning back to his own team, ready to head to the real exam room. They wiggled their way out of the tight crowd and made it to the stairs.

"Great! Let's go--" Naruto began, only to be interrupted by Sakura.

"Wait, where's Qui?" Sakura exclaimed, looking around.

"Over here. You guys took forever," Qui responded, leaning over the rail of the stairs. 

As the straggler of the group, she hadn't even gone to the second floor and just went straight to the third floor. However, after finding her team missing, she sat on the stairs to wait. During the wait, she opened her Uncle Igo's letter and read a little just before the rest of the team arrived. "What were you doing on the second floor?"

"There was a whole bunch of people on the second floor. We decided to investigate," Sakura responded, jerking her thumb to the open door. "Now let's go!"

On the way, they were interrupted by a green boy was exclaimed, "I am Rock Lee, and I challenge you, Uchiha Sasuke!" 

"At this rate, we'll never even get to the first exam much less pass it," Qui sighed resignedly. In a louder voice, she called, "Rock-san, shouldn't you wait for the exams to fight our teammate? You'll have more time and chances to fight us all!" 

"Now is a good time as any other! Besides, we may not be paired up to fight those who we wish to fight!" the boy replied with confidence. "And I would like to clearly express my desire to fight Uchiha Sasuke!" 

"Sasuke, let's just ignore him and go," Sakura suggested, tugging at his sleeve. 

"Wait, don't you want to know my name?" Naruto yelled frustratedly. 

"No! Come, Uchiha Sasuke! Let us fight and prove our youthfulness!" Rock Lee yelled, his fighting stance unwavering. 

Qui glanced at Sasuke and said, "Sasuke, don't let him pull the chicken--"

"Or are you afraid of losing to me?" Rock Lee continued, staring resolutely at Sasuke. 

A twitch showed. Sasuke whirled around to face Lee. "Alright then. I'll just end this quickly!"

"--card." Qui stared at the two boys opposing each other in disbelief. Suddenly, she snapped her fingers and choked out, "Great! Guess we'll wait some more." Then muttered, "Like we haven't waited long enough." 

"Will Sasuke-kun be alright?" Sakura asked worriedly. 

Qui responded exasperatedly, "I don't know. I don't care. Maybe this Rock Lee will be a crazy strong guy. I still don't care. Sasuke! You have less than five minutes to either defeat or lose to Rock Lee! We came here to take the first exam, not fool around!" 

"I know," Sasuke scowled. "Just wait--"

"No, I'm not waiting. I'm going ahead and leaving you here. Patience is not my virtue." 

"Qui!" She ignored the team's call and headed down the hall to another set of stairs that would take her to the real exam room. after a moment, a few violent vibrations echoed the hallway she was walking through, but she paid it no mind, determined to not be late for the exam. 

"Miss, where's your team?"

"Back there picking a fight."

"Miss, you need your entire team to qualify for this exam." 

Qui only sighed heavily once more but acknowledged the regulations. "I'll stand outside and wait for them." 

"They've got only a few minutes--"

"Qui!" 

"Oh, you guys are finally here," Qui said, looking up to see her team running towards the doors. "Let's go. We're almost late." 

When Team Seven entered the room, Sakura grabbed Qui and pulled her aside. 

"What's wrong with you?" Sakura demanded, crossing her arms at Qui. "Sasuke-kun was just putting that guy in his place!"

"Really? I don't care," Qui said, her words quiet and deliberately slow. "My priority right now is to get our team to the exam room. We will have plenty of opportunities to fight other people. We don't need to do it seconds before being disqualified. 

"Disqualified? Sakura turned to see last-minute teams running to the exam room, only to be rejected by the Chunin guarding the door. "Oh...!" Sakura stared, frightened that the opportunity they could have all lost to time. 

"Get it now? I know being a ninja can kill a couple brain cells, but I need you to put those few remaining brain cells together and work with me here," the Kurisani girl scowled.