Chapter 45

"So he wasn't that strong. A pity. Another team has fallen," Kabuto said, wiping away the shattered fragments of his game board pieces. However, his tone of voice was any but panic-y. He seemed amused for losing a large number of people on his own side. Some damage, although not a lot of enough, had been done on the Five Great Nations. Kabuto was eager to send out, his lower-leveled corpses to fight rather than starting the war with a bang. 

Qui finally had been taken from the hideout and onto the battlefield. New Madara had taken her to the top of a mountain, a small army of Kabuto's men behind her, ready to fight. 

"See if you can defeat the arriving enemy by yourself," New Madara challenged, stepping away and leaving her behind. 

The teen inhaled deeply, half eager to begin as soon as possible and the other half anxious about the results. She studied her surroundings. She was at the top, the best way to see anyone approaching her and the team behind her. 

"Let's see if I can get out of this alive and preferably in one piece." 

A group of Allied Shinobi Forces was edging closer to the mountain Qui was waiting. This group was heavily armed with sealing tools, taking into account the dead corpses waiting to be put at rest. 

"You will be no match for my son!" a resurrected shinobi roared at Qui, yet unable to move and attack her. "He will defeat you and your team!" 

"Still have their personalities. Ah well, I'll leave 'em be for now," Kabuto chuckled. 

"We'll see, won't we?" Qui replied, memorizing her surroundings as much as she could. The air was much cooler and drier than down below. The hideout cave she had been staying in with Kabuto and New Madara felt wet and cold. Not freezing cold. Just walking into the cave then coming right back out could still get your clothes damp. 

Forty-five paces... forty paces... thirty-five paces... thirty paces... twenty-five paces... twenty paces... fifteen...

Qui turned to face the unchanging direction the Allied Shinobi Forces were coming toward her and the massive group behind her. 

Ten, nine, eight, seven, six, five, four, three, two, one, annnd go.

Qui kicked off the ground and was instantly engaged in battle. With speed, she met the front lines of the enemy group and took them on head-on. In the next moment, she vanished into the dense woods, using the trees for protection. 

The army Kabuto provided Qui to (unwillingly) protect her weren't far behind. Yelling tearful greetings, they followed Qui's lead, whacking the enemy before them. 

Qui concentrated on her surroundings and planned all her moves. She pivoted on her right foot and seized the right-handed swordsman to make him pause. Within the next half second, she stole his sword, kicked him in his abdomen, and thrust the sword through his throat. 

Qui caught onto the woman sneaking up behind her and took a paper bomb in one hand. She led the women through the woods a little bit, keeping certain track of her. When the woman's comrades joined her, Qui changed directions, closing the space between her and a stranger. 

"Hey--" was all the young boy could say before Qui filled his mouth with a pair of eyes that had been ripped off a fresh corpse. He gagged violently, eyes wide open as he realized he was forced to swallow a disagreeable body part. 

Qui shoved him back and with her bare nails, she cut his throat to shreds and took a sharply broken branch nearby to stab his chest with it. For good measure, she picked him up and flipped him over harshly so the branch stuck in his chest was pierced right through him. He wouldn't be going anywhere for awhile. The boy silently screamed, unable to make a coherent sound as his vocal cords were destroyed.

Qui jerked herself back to escape the same woman chasing her from before. Qui leaped over the woman and landed behind one of her companions and with a swift jerk, the man's hands were broken and twisted. Then, Qui dashed forward to slap the paper bomb on the woman's exposed stomach. She frantically clawed at it, but the paper was good as stuck and exploded right before her eyes. The woman never saw another one of her companion's head come smashing into her own. 

By now, Qui's presence had alerted the majority of a group. They could tell she was no corpse and a strong will of her own. Talking did no good, as Qui didn't even stay in one place long enough for them to speak to her. 

Qui had no mercy, refusing to slow down or stop to listen to her enemy. Her mission was to destroy them or at the very least, buy New Madara time to work his plan thoroughly. She needed to win!

What set Qui apart from the revived corpses was obviously the physical differences. She took care not to get hurt and her reflexes protected her so far. When the corpses got hurt, they were instantly pieced back together in seconds and back in the game. 

Whether she was associated with the Akatsuki was a whole different question. Qui didn't wear an Akatsuki uniform, nor did she have a forehead protector signifying her current affiliation. 

Fortunately for the Allied Shinobi Forces, their corpse enemies were rather talkative. 

"I dunno who she is, but I know she's with the Akatsuki," one girl said, hands weaving signs faster than one could follow. Ice stretched beneath her feet and seized at the opponents' feet, attempting to freeze them in place. 

"Does anyone recognize her face?" someone from the Allied Shinobi Forces called. To his right, Qui tackled his neighbor and jammed the broken machete into the back of his mouth, efficiently pinning him onto the ground. 

"No! Sorry!"

"Check her Chakra system! If she's from a clan with a significant ability, then we'll be able to narrow down the countries!"

"Byakugan!" 

Although both Qui and the Hyuga clan came from Konoha, Qui was not a well-known student among the Genin. Even after her disappearance, the search teams who looked for her (and rescued many other MIA suspects) were limited to specific knowledge. Only the captains were shown her face and led the search teams. Lady Tsunade wanted to prevent Qui becoming a public figure in any shape or form and spoke to people who knew how to keep secrets. 

Less than one percent of the entire population of Konoha knew of Qui's existence in the first place. Only a handful of people in the ANBU were apart of that small number. Therefore, the number of people who personally knew her was limited to her ex-team, her family, and her teacher.

"Anything?" 

The Byakugan user scanned Qui, noting her Chakra system was normal. She appeared to be an average ninja without a clear ability of significance. "I don't think she has a distinct clan! There's nothing special about her!" 

Reserve my Chakra. I'll have time to use it later. For now, take them out quickly and steadily. 

Qui leaped off the dead man's back, removing the kunai with her. She twisted herself enabling her to look around herself to see who was still around and flung the bloodied kunai toward the closest one.