Chapter 2

There stood a tall red head, smiling at the assembly. He was taking off his jacket when everyone stood to greet him with long embraces. I stood as well but did not come forward. Instead, I watched the new comer. He was tall, and looked very much like everyone else in the room, although it was clear he was more muscular. He had long hair and so many freckles he seemed tanned. He was very handsome. From the long embraces, it seemed clear he was not a regular visitor. The family eventually sat back around the table, and the new guest noticed me. I said hi and made a small gesture, to which he answered with a gentle greeting and a smile.

Percy talked to him for a while and I listened to their conversation. I understood he was Charlie, the second son of the family. Percy told him all about the gossips of the family and of the Ministry of Magic, when he decided to come back to me.

"So, muggle university. Why would you want to be somewhere you cannot use magic?"

"I can use magic; I just have to be careful around muggles."

"Well, I don't mean to be rude but why choose to study in a muggle university instead of finding a job in the magical world?"

"I love studying, there's still a lot I can learn. Magical schools don't teach you all there is to know. I decided to take some time to commit to that. Besides, I'm not sure what type of job I'd want," I answered.

"I see your point, but I strongly believe finding a job should be a priority. What do you even study?"

"I study languages, literature and civilisation."

"This won't be very useful, especially to find a job now, will it?"

"Well, the only reason we're able to have this conversation is because I took the time to learn English, right?" I answered, slightly annoyed.

"Obviously. But what future does it offer you in our world?"

"You seem so sure there is nothing else to do but work in the magical world. Not everyone is destined to do so. Not because you are born a wizard means you cannot decide to live and work among muggles. There is so much more to do than stick to an office at the ministry."

Percy listened, but it was obvious he didn't understand my point of view.

"I believe working in the magical world is a way to preserve our values and traditions while improving our lives. Working in the muggle world, on the other hand, won't have much of an impact."

"Perhaps it won't. But not everything is about having an impact. Some people just want to do what they like. It's perfectly fine if they want to what they do to matter on a larger scale, but it also okay if they don't want to."

Only then did I realise Ginny, Harry and Charlie had been listening to our conversation. Ginny and Harry each held a thumb up, which made me laugh. Fleur included me in a conversation and made an aside in French about Percy. She said he sometimes was arrogant and proud, but that he did not mean bad.

Percy and Charlie were talking about the latter's job. I learnt that the handsome brother was a dragonologist at a Dragon Sanctuary in Romania. It gave much more sense to the callus and blisters on his hands. Yet, I was both surprise and fascinated by what I was hearing: you don't meet a dragonologist every day. Which actually makes sense: it is a very dangerous job, and it takes very particular and very sharp skills to even consider it. I was deeply interested in the depiction of his work. He seemed extremely passionate about it.

"So, Nora," Percy exclaimed, surprising me, "what were your favourite classes at school?"

"I liked charms, transfiguration and history of magic. I found it all so interesting, and I had great professors."

"Transfiguration is a very difficult class. Our teacher, professor McGonagall, was very clear on the matter: it is not for everyone. I thought it was quite easy, really."

Further away, I saw the twins whispering and eyeing around them. I knew these looks on their faces: my brothers have the same when preparing a prank. So does Ginny. I was expecting anything to explode by the end of the meal. Bill and Fleur were talking about their trip to France with Ginny, who genuinely seemed interested when I noticed Charlie listening as well. I took this opportunity to watch him a little.

He had been rather quiet during dinner. However, he seemed genuinely happy to be with his family. The living room was really loud, everyone was talking, multiple crossed conversations were rising from different places, and I managed to listen in every now and then without intervening. It was a bit overwhelming. I was trying to focus on Ginny when Charlie's calm voice quietly rose to my ears.

"So, if you learn languages, I'd assume you like to travel?"

"Yes, I do," I said in a short breath.

I had stopped the conversation before it had even started. Stupid. There was a short silence.

"Dragon Sanctuary in Romania?" I added.

"Have you ever seen a dragon?"

Charlie started talking about his work as a dragonologist, and about his new home-country. He asked me about my studies, but I cut my answers short, partly because there was not much to say about it, but mainly it was not nearly as interesting as his job. I asked a couple of questions about his job, and he seemed pleased to answer. His descriptions of Romania and of the sanctuary made me travel just by the power of his words and his passion. Not only were dragons an interesting subject, it was spoken with such energy anyone would want to quit their jobs and become a dragonologist.

Eventually, we were interrupted by the apparition of the cake Ginny and I made earlier that day. The plates flew in front of each guest and the slices appeared a couple of seconds later. Before we could have a bite, we heard a big boom and some cream flew in the air: Percy's slice had "accidentally" exploded. He and his mother were really annoyed, but everyone else at the table burst in laughter.

We helped Mrs Weasley clean the table, and the family separated in different groups of conversation. I spoke with Ginny and Harry for a while, until I took a look at my watch. I thanked Mr and Mrs Weasley and managed to say goodbye to the Weasley sons before stepping outside of the house with Ginny.

"I had lots of fun tonight, thanks again for inviting me. Your family is very surprising."

"Yeah, we're crazy," Ginny added, laughing.

"Good crazy. We should plan something for Christmas break, maybe a day or two together?"

"Sure, definitely. You are welcome here whenever you want. I think my family liked you."

"How would you know that already?" I chuckled.

"I know them. Had my parents or brothers not liked you, I'd have noticed, trust me. And you would have too. My parents thought you were lovely. I love when my parents like my friends, it means you're an extended part of the family!"

We talked for another minute, I thanked her and wished her good night before disapparating.

When I arrived home, I got ready to go to sleep but soon realised I was not tired. Instead of forcing myself to sleep, I got up and searched my library in hope for a particular book. My eyes eventually fell on an old grimoire made of dragon skin. I took it out and opened it. "A guidebook to knowing dragons". I had been interested in dragons like any other person, but after everything Charlie had told me, I saw dragons from a new perspective.