Chapter 14

I did not expect that reaction. I did not understand what crossed his mind for him to react that way, and all I hoped was it was not my fault I had never seen him lose his cool or be rude before.

I stayed on the couch for a moment, thinking and somehow waiting, when I decided to spend some time outside. I got up and took a broom from the cupboard. I flew to the dragon sanctuary and walked all the way to the arch. There, I met Charlie's colleagues who were having a small tour of the reserve. We talked a little and they offered me to come along with them, which I accepted. They took their brooms and we left and flew over the trees. After a while, I noticed someone was following us, and I recognised Charlie. Everyone stopped and waited for him.

"She has nothing to do here," He told the others without looking at me.

"We offered her to come, it's just a small tour," Alexandra explained.

"It doesn't change anything, she is not supposed to be here, she could get hurt and it would be your fault."

"But Charlie–"

"Thanks, you two. It was very nice," I said as I left quickly.

I heard Charlie call my name but I did not turn around. I was mad. He had no rights to talk to them that way, especially about me while ignoring me. I came back home as fast as I could and went to my room. I was upset, maybe a little bit more that he deserved, but I could not help it. I sat on my bed and started reading to calm me down. An hour or two later, I heard the door, and I heard Charlie sitting heavily on the couch for about ten seconds. He sighed again and walked to my door.

"Nora, could I talk to you please?" He said, hesitating.

"I don't really want to talk to you, Charlie."

"I talked to Alexandra."

"Good for you."

"Please, don't be a child," he sighed.

I grew angry in an instant, left my bed in a hurry and widely opened the door.

"But I am a child, am I not?" I asked, bitter.

He avoided my eyes, and we both remained silent. The situation was really awkward.

"So, what did you say?" I eventually asked.

"What?"

"To Alexandra!" I exclaimed, annoyed.

"We... talked."

"Listen, if you don't want to tell me about it, it's your right, but please leave me alone."

I slammed the door and kept on reading. I must have fallen asleep, because when I woke up, it was dark outside. I looked at my watch and realised it was the middle of the night. I went to the kitchen to have a glass of water.

"Nora?"

I jumped and turned around. Charlie was standing next to the fire place.

"You need to stop doing that Charlie!"

"Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you."

"You never mean to. You always do."

I was surprisingly still upset with him. I took a glass of water and sat around the table, imitated by Charlie.

"I told Alexandra she was great, and a dear friend, but I didn't like her that way," he started. "I said she should move on. I'm sure she can find someone better."

"How did she react?"

"Good, I think."

"Good," I said before having a bit of water. "Thanks."

"For what?"

"Talking to her. I kind of understand how she feels."

We became silent for a while.

"So, what is it with you?" I asked.

"What do you mean?"

"Charlie, you treated me like crap today."

"I know. I'm sorry. I was worried something would happen to you."

"This is not a good reason to treat me, or the others, the way you did."

He did not answer, and I knew he was not going to. We stayed there for a while. My eyes were fixated on him. He crossed my eyes, but I did not look away.

"We should go to bed–"

"I'll be leaving tomorrow," I interrupted.

"Tomorrow? Why so soon?" He asked surprised.

"I have to go home."

"You don't have to go home Nora, you can stay. I'd like you to stay."

"You don't understand Charlie..."

"Then explain to me," he exclaimed.

I stood up, put the glass away, and walked to the living room. I was not sure what to answer at first, but eventually turned to Charlie.

"I thought I was done with it, but I still have feelings for you, and I hate the way I feel right now. I need to go somewhere you're not."

I made a little smile and left to my room. I breathed heavily and went to bed, although I knew it would be a while until I fall asleep.