Chapter 9

The next day was Christmas Eve. We all helped Mrs Weasley cooking and cleaning the house so it is ready to welcome everyone. I knew Charlie had been working on disapparating, although he didn't tell anyone, and I believe he became a lot better. Before everyone arrived, Ginny asked if I wanted to go out and fly a bit together. I was about to refuse, naturally, when I thought of what Charlie had said. He believed I could be good if I relaxed, so I decided to trust him and I followed Ginny to the garden. We flee for a while, and I was trying to follow Ginny. I did not realise it but I was not that tense then. After a moment, something passed by me and reached Ginny, drawing circles around her. I recognised Harry. I watched them from afar and stopped in the air. I was not sure how to do that, but I did.

"Hey there," Charlie's voice said behind me.

"Hey."

"You're doing great."

"Thanks," I said with a smile.

"Want to fly with me?"

I nodded and he stayed by my sides while we flee up and down. At some point however, Charlie started to challenge me, and I could not tolerate to be beaten without fighting. I followed him, imitated his moves the best I could, and eventually called it a day.

Back in the house, Mrs Weasley was starting panicking. Charlie and I helped the best we could until she sent us to the shower. When I came back, I noticed Bill and Fleur in the living room. I said hi and asked Mrs Weasley if she needed any help. Fleur started talking about our former school, we sat on the couch and talked about our former professors, about some funny events that occurred when we studied there at our own time. It was nice to hear of the school, I was free to talk then, when nobody was listening. While she was talking, I noticed Charlie coming down the stairs. He was looking very good. He smiled at me; I answered the same way. Fleur had stopped talking, she smiled and said I should go and talk to him, adding a wink to her advice. I didn't know what she meant, or I didn't want to. She rose on her feet and gently pushed me to the kitchen. At that moment, Ginny and Harry passed the door, apologised for being late, and went upstairs.

Everyone arrived, and dinner was served. It was a cheerful moment. The family was happy to be all gathered. The twins were even really nice to Percy. Only Hermione and I were not actual members of the family, but she had known them for so long that she was definitely one of them. I felt a bit aside, but I did not mind: they had the kindness to welcome me and share their family moment with me. I was sitting next to Ginny and Fleur, in front of Ron. I had fun during dinner, and I could not help but noticing Charlie's looks on me every now and then. He seemed concerned either I spent a good time or not.

After the cake, Mr Weasley and his wife called for a little toast, to friends and family, and gave everyone their gifts. Mrs Weasley made jumpers for everyone, with the first letter of their name on it. She had also made one for me, which moved me deeply. It was a deep blue jumper, with a silver "N" on it. I thanked her a lot, and showed it to Charlie, as to say "mine is better than yours". I was giggling, which was probably why he laughed. I offered muggles fireworks to the twins, I found them buried at the back of a shop, and I was sure they did not have them. Everyone offered this kind of funny powder and objects for them to make up their own mischief devices. Ginny, Harry and Ron received Quidditch supply. I offered her a simple picture of us when we were casting spells outside last summer, it was very simple but I think she liked it. Percy received books. I offered him a book about languages, their evolution and uses throughout the world. My gifts for Harry and Ron a French book about Quidditch that had only lately been translated into English. I was not sure they were book-people, but Quidditch had the best of them, I think they liked it. Bill and Fleur received common gifts, housing decorations mostly, I offered a painting I knew Fleur would like. I gave Hermione a final year study book from my former school, one I was sure she had never read before. I offered Mrs Weasley flowers I enchanted so they would change colour every month, and which would not fade before years, along with the best French muggle chocolate. For Mr Weasley, I thought a mobile phone would be great, which appeared to be. I eyed Charlie as to tell him he should meet me later to get his gift. He seemed surprised but nodded.

The biggest surprise of the night was I also received gifts from everyone. Ginny, along with Harry, offered me a book of English wizard expressions to use, and a picture of Ginny and I, from when we met. Ron and Hermione offered me a book "The Tales of Beedle the Bard" apparently famous tales for children in Britain. Hermione told me she very much enjoyed them when she first read the stories as an adult. Fred and George handed me a box full of their own trick inventions, certified without risks (at least for me). Percy, who seemed to be really cheerful, offered me a book of Charms of a very high level, and Fleur and Bill had me a dark travelling cape, made in a lovely material.

I was very much touched by their attention; they did not have to gift me anything. My cheeks were burning. Hopefully the subject of the attention changed. I raised my eyes and saw Charlie behind Ron, he smiled at me and made the same sign I did to him, signifying I will get whatever he had for me later.