Chapter 17

He rose on his feet a bit too quickly and made a face. I laughed a little and he managed to smile. He slowly walked to the couch and I helped him sitting. I took the healing grimoire I left in my room and started reading chapter six. I was focusing on the pages, I took my wand and made the move two or three times, when I felt Charlie's eyes on me. I looked up and saw him smiling.

"What's so funny?" I asked.

"You, you make me smile. You're so meticulous."

"It has to be done the right way; I wouldn't want to hurt you more than you already are," I explained.

"I wasn't mocking, just do your thing," he said smiling.

I smiled back, and realised I was ready.

"I uh... I need you to take your shirt off..." I shyly said.

He made no reply and took it off. He made a face while moving his arms, and I knew that, for his sake, I could not miss the spell. He turned and I faced his burnt back. I started reading the indications out loud.

"'Slightly stretch the burnt skin...' "

I delicately put my hand on Charlie's back, and I could feel him growing tense.

"'Cast the spell on the burnt area and...' bablah ok I get it."

I focused, I moved my wand and cast the spell. A string of silver and blue magic came out of my wand and fell on Charlie's back. It wrapped his chest like floating water. I could feel Charlie relaxing and sighing in relief. The spell stayed visible for ten seconds on his back, and disappeared. My eyes opened wide; I was absolutely astonished. His skin came back to normal. I slowly moved my hand on Charlie's back.

"It worked. It really worked. I made it work," I said in disbelief.

Charlie rose on his feet without any pain. He made some moves, and his ribs did not seem broken anymore. I stood next to him and smiled, quite proud.

"You did amazing Nora. Thank you, this is amazing."

"You won't get to work before a while though."

"Not for as long as if you hadn't help."

"Well, you're welcome," I said, bowing.

"Maybe you should become a healer," he suggested.

"Uh, no thanks. I'm not into medicine at all, this was an exception."

"Too bad, I'm sure everyone would like to have you as their personal healer," he gently laughed.

"Of course, they would, why wouldn't they, right?" I asked along.

We looked at each other for a while when he decided to talk again.

"Why did you want to leave this soon?"

"I thought it was clear enough," I answered.

"I know but, you could have..."

"I thought I was done with... all this. But I guess I wasn't. And I think it's better for the both of us if we're apart. I mean what is this worth anyway?" I said smiling.

"Nora, you know what I said about you on Christmas..."

"That I'm way too young?" I interrupted.

"I didn't say 'way too young', I said too young."

"What's the difference?" I inquired.

"Way too young is way too young, too young is just... younger?"

"I have no idea what you are trying to say," I said laughing.

"I'm saying," he said stepping closer to me, "I'm saying you are not that young. And you're good. And you were right last Christmas."

"About what?"

"I was the one who was getting attached. But I felt like you were too young and like, kind of a child somehow and..."

"Charlie, you really suck at making compliments," I nervously laughed.

"Don't make fun of me, I'm not used to talk about... this."

"Nobody is, you know."

"Nora, I like you. I really do. You are so full of life, so interesting; I've never felt like this towards anyone before. It's a bit scary."

I looked at him in the eyes, really surprised. I saw him leaning on me and, after a moment of hesitation, he kissed me. It was a sweet and tender kiss. I put my arms around Charlie's neck and kissed him back. I was being completely overwhelmed, until I felt him growing tense.

"What's wrong, are you okay?" I asked, worried.

"Never been better. You just leaned on my broken arm," he said smiling

"I'm so sorry!"

"It's alright," he said, before leaning to kiss me.