Chapter 2: Online

Starscream slowly brought his optics online, squinting a bit from the brightness of the medical room lights. His processor was aching, spark pulsing weakly, and he was experiencing what humans would call 'phantom pains" from his missing limbs. Turning his head over to the side, he was surprised to see Megatron sleeping in a chair next to him. His arms crossed over his chest as his frame rose and fell slightly as he recharged. His head dropped to the side slightly as his optics were offline. Starscream tried to recall what had happened, last thing he remembered was seeing an explosive heading towards Megatron. Then he blacked out. Now, he was awake in a medical berth with a missing arm, leg, and broken wing.

Starscream struggled to recall the feelings he felt when he saw the bomb heading towards his Lord. His spark had been pulsing quickly and erratically. Satisfaction? No. Excitement? Nope, not that either. Then it finally dawned on him...that feeling had been horror. Why had he felt horror for someone who had only ever caused him pain and irritation? He started thinking about what Shockwave would probably scold him about later." Starscream, injuring yourself in this severity due to a spark rate was highly illogical." He heard his voice say in his aching head. Looking down, Starscream took note of the metal patch on his side. High quality. Not what any Decepticon would usually get patched up with. Then, speech threw him from his inner dialogue.

"Starscream...why'd you do it?" A voice slurred. It was Megatron. Starscream quickly looked over at him, noticing he was simply taking in his recharge. Why had he done it? Impulse? Glitch? He had no clue. His memories of the moment leading up to the explosion were slowly returning, but he still didn't know exactly why he had saved Megatron's spark. He'd probably have been better of freezing and not having saved him. That way, he'd be the new leader of the Decepticons without question and Soundwave wouldn't be able to prove inaction if he made a stunned expression during the blast. Alas, that was in the past now. Too late to change anything. Megatron said some slurred and incomprehensible questions while in recharge, but Starscream was too shaken to even answer him of acknowledge his questions. This was going to be a long recovery.