Chapter 8: Loss

Autobot movement early in the morning prevented the big announcement of Starscream becoming Queen of the Decepticons. The two had only been able to inform Soundwave of the occurrence before Megatron and Starscream were rushed to the location with their soldiers. They were greeted by all of the Autobots battling manifestations of Unicron. Unicron had somehow managed to generate more of them, even after being locked in the earth's core for eternity by Optimus. Or so they had hoped when joining in a truce.

Megatron knew that he'd have to wait until Unicron was dealt with to deal with the Autobots, so he ordered his soldiers to attack only the manifestations. After some witty banter with Optimus Prime about teaming up yet again and his last battle leading to the replacement of Orion's memories only, he turned his attention to the many many manifestation of Unicorn forming. This was going to be a long and entertaining battle.

Megatron sliced one of the large manifestations in two, turning to see Starscream eliminate two smaller ones. He grinned a bit as they started fighting back to back." You know my sweetspark, this is almost romantic." He teased as he blew off the head of a manifestation that got a little too close to Starscream. The seeker chuckled a bit in response, blasting three of them into rubble with one of his missiles." You have no idea~" He purred and winked at his bonded with a lustful smile.

Suddenly, the ground began shaking and cracking open underneath the fighting bots. Megatron hissed in slight pain as the dark energon in his chest started to burn. He ordered a retreat back to a slightly off bridge portal, watching as his soldiers followed his command. Starscream being one of them, only trailing behind waiting for him. The pain increased more and more until his vision swam, causing him to fall on his hands and knees." Megatron!" Starscream yelled in worry and started running to him. The ground cracked more as one last manifestation appeared behind the worried seeker. Megatron's optics widened as he could hear what Unicron was thinking." Starscream! Behind you!"

Starscream turned around too late, getting grabbed by the manifestation. The Autobots had retreated away from the crumbling ground to where it had stopped. Optimus gasped a bit himself along with his loyal friends when the horrible nature of Unicron was truly realized. The manifestation took its clawed hand, plunging it into Starscream's side. Starscream let out a spark chilling shriek of pure agonizing pain as the monstrosity ripped out his t-cog and flung his body to the ground after." Starscream!" Megatron yelled, trying to force himself up. The pain of his own spark however, proved too great.

The manifestation was met with Autobot gunfire as Starscream was heavily leaking energon from his gaping wound. The ground continued to crumble, a large hole beginning to form. Megatron noticed this and tried to stand, but all his efforts proved futile. The pain was so great that he couldn't even transform. More manifestations formed, distracting the Autobots from assisting the two Decepticons. Starscream lunged his body forward as Megatron began to fall into the abyss below, grabbing one of his servos tightly and holding onto it. His optics were wide with tears in them.

"Just...GAH...hold on!!" Starscream yelled with tears streaming down his faceplates. Megatron sighed, looking sadly into his mate's optics." Starscream, my sweetspark, do not allow Unicron to kill both leaders of the Decepticons. Let go. It's alright." He said sadly and smiled reassuringly at his mate. Starscream shook his head, gripping the servo tighter." NO! No no no! I just got to know the real you! My mate! I don't want to let go! I can't!" He yelled, claws slipping. Megatron sighed as he looked at his terrified mate." Starscream...forgive me." He said softly, his own hand letting go of Starscream's arm." NO NO NO!! MEGATRON DON'T!" Starscream cried out, losing his grip.

Megatron offlined his optics as he plummeted. He knew this fall would kill him. He prayed to Primus that his bond with Starscream was fresh enough to allow the seeker to live. Starscream had attempted to jump after him, only to be grabbed by Soundwave and forced into a portal to the Nemesis. The Autobots retreated as well, attempting to process the horror they had just witnessed.

On the Nemesis, Starscream was placed into a forced stasis by Knock Out so that he could operate. It took some time, but he managed to seal the gaping hole and put Starscream's t-cog back in. Not that it would've helped him save Megatron, seeing as though his one wing was still damaged from the explosion all those weeks ago. Soundwave, with the help of Shockwave, delivered the grave news to the crew. All Decepticons mourned the loss of their lord. However, they were shocked when Soundwave relayed a message of Megatron explaining his bond with Starscream to him before the battle occurred. Starscream was the rightful leader of the Decepticons now. Whether he wanted to be or not.